1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lessons learned - Bergie and 400+ content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim1, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Never too old to be reminded to listen to others. My guitarist has recently acquired a full Marshall Hendrix doublestack - one of 600 blah blah... While we are not a metal band (think blues/rock a la Stevie) the whole dynamics thing has made me consider another Bergie to go with my NV610. We are old troopers and understand onstage volume etc but still like a bit of power behind us. Anyway, I read recently that Jim Bergantino advised another TB'er to get a bigger amp before adding another cab to his 610, so decided this gig to really push the Mesa and also took out PsychoBassGuy's 12AU7 tube mod and replaced it with the original 12AX7. It was a big club, 600+ capacity and a good PA provided, we just took our back line.
    Long story short, the NV610 just soaked up the power and I had no trouble getting a good onstage mix and hearing myself, even with some lead guitar coming through the monitors also. This speaker just never ceases to amaze me - and also the other musos in the audience who had never even heard of Bergantino. The tube swap?? - well at the end of the second bracket I put PBG's 12AU7 tube mod back in. The Mesa with the original 12AX7 just did not have those wonderful creamy mids to which I have grown so accustomed in the last 18 months. I worked the gain and master a bit more than usual to compensate for the 12AU7, and the Bergie just lapped it up.
    Conclusions? The Bergantino NV610 remains my main gigging speaker and it is difficult to imagine doubling it unless on a big outdoor stage(in which case I would probably have bass in the monitors and side fill anyway). I had forgotten what a wonderful difference PBG's 12AU7 mod makes to the Mesa 400+, after using it for so long it was interesting to go back briefly. The amp does appear louder with the original 12AX7, but I doubt that the volume is useable up to ten without running out of headroom, whereas with the 12AU7 I can crank it pretty well all the way.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Everyone loves that NV610. I must drag my ass to BC and try it out sometime, but I'm afraid I'll like it too much.

Quite honestly, I can't imagine a gig where you would actually need two of them unless your last name is Meldal-Johnsen. I do a lot of outdoor stuff and I think the best approach for them is to do exactly what you'd do on an indoor gig. Most outdoor gigs have a big enough PA to where it won't matter about your cab, and the ones that don't usually have a PA you can't turn up the bass past the PA's usable volume anyway. But it would make for a nice wall of sound, wouldn't it? ;)

3. Meldal-Johnsen this, Meldal-Johsen that...;)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Whatever :spit:

5. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I did the 12AU7 mod in my Bass 400 and it made tons of difference as well. It is louder with the original tube, but then again, if you run out of usable headroom at 7 on the master, well...... Plus, the 12AU7 seems to improve the functionality of the EQ as well.

I'd really love an NV610, but I don't know where to find one in Michigan :[

6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    having recently purchased an NV610 myself, i can tell you about the only thing better is when you pair it with the NV215, which i just did a couple of weeks ago. those two cabs are made for eachother - it just sounds like one big perfectly balanced speaker cab. the mids from the NV610 really compliment the low end girth and clear top end of the NV215. while i will always have GAS for other stuff, i think this pair is as good as it gets. the only thing i can imagine being better would be another pair of them! :bassist:

glad you've found additional ways to enjoy your rig - i'm sure your 400 and 610 is a killer pairing.

JR

7. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    +1 gazillion to that:D

8. He really is radical. You know I'm just joking in good fun Jimmy (I hope). I hope to run in to him someday if I ever get to do some studio work up in LA.

Of course, he's no JimmyM.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, well not everyone can play with Bowzer ;)

You can run into him every day on here, you know? ;)

10. True.

And, True. I was just airing my personal hopes to all of TB. (Playing sessions, not meeting JMJ, although that would be cool).