Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lessons near Chicago??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tonto_Goldstein, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I am in the south suburbs of Chicago (Oak Forest to be exact!) Anybody have some recommendations for for good places to go for lessons? Two places near my house offer them for 12 or 13 per half hour. Is this cheap? Reasonable? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would say reasonable to pretty darn good. I pay $20 a half an hour for my lessons, which are in Evanston, which is apparantly very close to where you are. :) $12-13 is a nice price. Is it with a private teacher or a store or what?

3. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Yes there are a couple of stores in my area that have a teacher come in one or two days a week. Evanston is quite a hike from Oak Forest. I am near I-80 and I-57 about 10 miles from the Tweeter Center. I will keep the prices you pay in mind when I look at my options.

Thanks!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Very close is a relative term, I guess. ;) I wasn't aware of how far away Oak Forest was from Evanston. I live in the NW burbs and have to drive a half hour to get to Evanston. I guess it would take you a bit longer, wouldn't it. ;) Good luck with your search!

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Where do you take lessons? Flynn? Guitar Works? Private?

How would you rate your own playing? What's your teacher's specialty?

I'm not asking so I can plug someone; rather, I wouldn't mind finding a teacher who can start off with someone who's advanced...

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's private. My own playing ability is one who has played for three years and wanted to pursue some theory knowledge. We work on reading and forming lines around charts, etc. I'm positive he can handle someone who's more advanced. He's fluent on bass and guitar, but his specialty is oboe. If you want more info, PM me and I'll give you his number. Just so you know, I'm paying $20 'cause we're buds and he knows I'm poor and in college- I believe $25 is his standard.