Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lessons start in 2 days

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by gruffpuppy, Apr 9, 2001.

1. well i am starting lessons on wednesday, $50 an hour, every two weeks to start.
    the gent teaches arco and pizz (hope i got the terms right) he said he wants his students to practice scales with a bow because it is to easy to mask intonation with the fingers.
    the books he uses are Simandl, Billie, and Ron Carter.

he also wants me to pick up a german bow, for starting out will it be ok to spend around $100 on one. i realize this is cheap but so is the Cremona bass.

thanks for any input.

Cremona i thought that was something you put in coffee :D

2. Sounds like he has a pretty standard method worked out (BTW, it's Bille). If you've never used a bow before, don't be discouraged if you can't get a good sound off the bat, it takes a lot of practice. So keep at it, and listen to what he says, you're forking out the bucks for it!

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Sounds like a good plan, I'm doing the same. It's often a good idea to tape the lessons if you can, so you can get back in the right frame of mind if you have any questions during the "practice period". It's also helpful to set up the room you're going to use to practice with a music stand, a metronome, and a mirror so you can check out the physical aspect of your technique and wean yourself away from looking at your hands all the time. Looking into a mirror at my hands seems to give me some much needed objectivity somehow...almost as if, when I make a critique of what's going on technically, I'm making it to someone else, and it seems easier that way for some reason.

Either that, or I'm certifiably insane for hanging out with " The Guy in the Mirror" so much....

Oh, and if you practice too much pizz too soon, you'll expand - by an exponential margin - your concept of just how raw the skin of the first two fingers of your right hand can get before they either catch fire or fall off. Or both. That part is fun.

NOT.

Again, good luck.

4. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Good luck. If you haven't picked this up so far, you will also need to purchase some rosin, ask your teacher about brands. I've also got a cheap bow but am saving my pennies. If you get a chance at one of your lessons, do an A/B comparison between your soon to be acquired cheap bow and your teacher's bow. You will be amazed at the difference the bow makes.

Don't be disheartened by whole note scales at low bpm. Revel in the sound you're making.

5. how do i tell the diference between german and french bows? i have done some searching on TB and the web but i can't find a real good picture. there is a music store near me and the guys says its a german bow but from what i have read about the grip it looks more like a french bow. thanks again

6. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Try this:

http://www.uprightbass.net/AT Saldo Bows.htm

If you can't get it to load just go the the main page of that site and go to the bows page. You should also spend a lot of time following all the links from (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's site http://www.gollihur.com

The frog on the German bow is ~2+" - the hair stands well away from the stick. Also the bit you turn to tighten the hair is usually black (wood or plastic) and sticks out from the frog ~3"

The frog on the French bow is ~1" - the bit you use to tighten the hair is about an inch long and usually made of metal often with octagonal facets and some kind of contrasting strip for decoration.

7. thanks rablack

i thought the german style was the more popular but all i can find around here looks like the french. guess i will have to order one from somewhere.

and thanks for bob's link, its been in my book marks for about a month.

8. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You should be able to get a french or german style bow (cheaply) from Lemur.

9. Thanks Alex, I will check it out.

Well got back from my lesson about an hour and a half a go and gee whiz my hands are killing me.
    The lesson when great, and most of all I am even more pumped up about learning the DB.
    He says I need to relax my fretting hand more which is probably the soreness, he gave me a handful of exercises to work on so I can get a little more relaxed with the fretting hand. Did a basic run through on how to hold it, the first position, bowing and looked through the books he wants me to pick up. one is a Ron carter book that has lots of pictures (I had this one already because I have always been into jazz lines) and a book called
    Bille Nuovo Metodo Parte 1. I have found this book on the web but it always says Dd after the title.
    I will call the teacher on Thursday but does anyone know if this is the same book.

p.s. didn't think I would want to learn to play with the bow but after trying it and listening to the teacher I have changed my mind. Sounds great.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    (...much heavy amplified breathing through a facade of black plastic....)

Good...feel the dark side of the force, Gruff Stringwalker...let it surge through your veins, let it saturate every square centimeter of every blister on every finger...only then will you begin to know its true power....

( Karrth Vader voice off)

Sounds like you're hooked! Now, the final step is easy - you just have to sign your "DARK SIDE" pact with the DB Devil:

I, Gruff Stringwalker, in accordance with my desire to delve deeper into the intricacies of the REALBASS, promise in the future to:

* Practice every day;

* Start reading all available DB literature at odd times, even if I don't really understand it yet;

* Never again post in BG Off Topic;

* Always say "ALL HAIL" before mentioning (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's name;

* Never admit in public that I still play the BG, even though I clearly do;

* Adopt an attitude of sarcastic/ironic condescention toward any and all BG players in my path, not because I really think that I'm any better than them, but because acting like an overboard parody of a stuck up classical musician is so stupid that it's fun if you can pull it off with a straight face;

* Make fun of Fieldy mercilessly every time I hear his name just for the fun of it, even though I don't know squat about his playing;

* Start putting things like "new adjustable-by-clicking endpin" on my Christmas list;

* Start becoming protective of the Rosin forum, even though I find the concept of a whole forum dedicated to Rosin as funny as the next guy;

* And finally, I promise to NEVER AGAIN refer to my left hand as my FRETTING HAND, since
    a) It ain't fretting nothin now, so why call it that; AND
    b) If I do, a whole buncha guys who have already signed this form are gonna rag my sh*t mercilessly.

All we need now is your Gruff Hancock, and you're all set....

11. Learn to stop the notes from your shoulder. Don't squeeze the strings down to fingerboard. The energy comes from your shoulder. To get the idea, practice without your thumb on the back of the neck (it might be a good idea to sit on a stool for this exercise). Not only will it be easier on you hand, but your tone will be much, much better and you will project your sound much, much better. As hard as it might be to believe, projection comes from the left shoulder.

12. The final step is easy - you just have to sign your "DARK SIDE" pact with the DB Devil:

I, Gruff Stringwalker, in accordance with my desire to delve deeper into the intricacies of the REALBASS, promise in the future to:

* Practice every day;

* Start reading all available DB literature at odd times, even if I don't really understand it yet;

* Never again post in BG Off Topic;

* Always say "ALL HAIL" before mentioning (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's name;

* Never admit in public that I still play the BG, even though I clearly do;

* Adopt an attitude of sarcastic/ironic condescention toward any and all BG players in my path, not because I really think that I'm any better than them, but because acting like an overboard parody of a stuck up classical musician is so stupid that it's fun if you can pull it off with a straight face;

* Make fun of Fieldy mercilessly every time I hear his name just for the fun of it, even though I don't know squat about his playing;

* Start putting things like "new adjustable-by-clicking endpin" on my Christmas list;

* Start becoming protective of the Rosin forum, even though I find the concept of a whole forum dedicated to Rosin as funny as the next guy;

* And finally, I promise to NEVER AGAIN refer to my left hand as my FRETTING HAND, since
    a) It ain't fretting nothin now, so why call it that; AND
    b) If I do, a whole buncha guys who have already signed this form are gonna rag my sh*t mercilessly.

GruffPuppy
    (sign here)
    Gruff Stringwalker

All we need now is your Gruff Hancock, and you're all set....

i would like to find a loop hole with the BG off topic rule, come on if someone needs a abuse they need abuse.

13. As a toy bassist for 16 years, I too have succombed to the real bass bug™. I bought an early '40s German plywood bass from a local jazz history professor (and pro trumpet player), and I've been messing with it for about 4 months, but I'm dying to get some arco instruction. So I hooked up with a local teacher (tried to get with Bob Magnusson and Bert Turetzky, but they're both booked up solid), and have my first lesson tomorrow morning. Wish me luck...

now playing in my CD player - the London Double Bass Sound (w/Gary Karr)...

-a

14. Andy, my man,

You have to have a real bass in that picture of you on your home page and not that bunch of toy basses.

Welcome to the "dark side" as they say, who ever "they" may be. I just hope you can recoup your costs when you try to sell your toys.

There is truth in the saying that "bigger is better".

Mark

15. That's Cremora by Borden's. They use it in the hospital.

$100 bucks is ok for a bow until you get established. You'll know when to get a good one, later. Get it rehaired ASAP and use the rosin your teacher suggests. The hair on a new bow usually isn't the best. That helps keep the cost down.

Helpful hint: For the sake of fast learning, and this will probably get me flamed, just say to yourself that the teacher is always right and do what he says. You've picked this guy out for whatever reason and you need to have the right attitude.

Once you start learning the bass and get a grasp of what's going on then you'll know whether or not this is the right teacher for you. Believe me somebody's going to 'dis' his teaching and philosphy. I've been playing music for over 40 years and I had to learn these lessons the hard way.

In the mean time believe you've done the right thing and stick with it. Bass is hard enough to learn without being flooded with everybody's philosophy, and you will be flooded.

You're welcome.

B.P.

16. thanks for the info 1BP, I am picking up a $100 bow next week. I have only had one lesson so far so it is hard to tell if i like the guy or not as a teacher.
    time will tell.

on another note how old are you?
    seems odd that a person that has been playing for over 40 years would have a screen name and profile like yours.

hmm, maybe its just me

thank you
    your welcome

17. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hey Gruff, I'm in there with ya. A life-long BG player now beginning a "new life" with the Dark Side. My first lesson is on Thursday, with the local Symphony bassist who also teaches at the local college. I imagine my first night will be very similar to yours, based on the info she gave me on the phone. I was very encouraged by the fact that she at least asked what kind of music I planned to play and didn't laugh or choke when I told her blues, folk and bluegrass. I expected some sort of snob-ism, but she said "those are valid and fun" but I hope you won't mind working with classical as the basis for your lessons. Of course I don't...I guess I just always considered classical as something that's way beyond me. I'm determined to let her "drive the bus" and try to remember that even though I've got 25 yrs experience, I'm now a rank beginner....I think that'll be the tough part. I'm experiencing a strange mix of excitement and anxiety, but I'm more pumped than I've been since my garage band days.

18. mchildree i will wish you the same luck that the others here sent me. i was just talking to a friend about this last night. i have a smaller bass that i have been playing for years and now i have the DB that i have been playing for a week, feels very odd. i forgot what it felt like when i first started the BG.
    ahh, the memories of learning a new instrument are coming back to me. they all warned me. :D
    so far so good, i am loving my DB.

19. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Thank You Sir, and the same back to you. This forum will be my only opportunities to discuss this kind of thing since no one in my city really communicates any longer...