1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lessons vs. Self-Taught

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ishmael_the_god, Jul 15, 2002.

1. filter

filter

Jun 7, 2003
    Atl, GA
    :D I started with a teacher. Then I could not afford it anymore. It helped alot. When I was on my own I could look at things the way he would in breaking things down. I think most important to learn the basics with someone who knows.

2. filter

filter

Jun 7, 2003
    Atl, GA
    There is no cut off age to learning. Randy Rhodes
    used to take lessons from whatever teacher he could hook-up with on tour. Just to learn different styles or what ever. The teachers I have taken classes from all needed students (money). Most students who already play they just asked what you want out of the lessons and work around that.

Phil:bassist:

3. very simply put...two heads are better than one. You can't learn it all by yourself. Actually, you can't learn it all, but you could get closer studying with other people.

I studied with a pretty well-known bassist for about a year, and it helped me tremendously. And I've been playing for 28 years!

4. Yofclef

Yofclef

May 29, 2000
    USA Austin, Texas
    I have to agree with you one point..."How Old is to Old to Learn something New?" You have been playing for 25 years...Great! We are all at a certain level of Bass playing and understanding of Music. The Question that I asked myself was: Do I want my Music to go UP or stay the same? I have been messing around with my Bass on and off for three years now and I got a to a point where I knew that I needed some help. Heck, I'm 51 years old! I had talked to many people that play Bass and they all agree, that talking lessons is the way to go!
    I decided to that I wanted to take my Music UP! So, I started taking lessons. It is a Very Good Thing Indeed! I wish that I had done this from the start. Improvement has been make in a very short period of time!
    I feel that the Time and Effort that you will put in with your Instructor will be well worth your Time and Money! It is working for me!!

5. Yofclef

Yofclef

May 29, 2000
    USA Austin, Texas
    Yo Josh,
    I hear you!! Word Up!!!

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a 13 year old son that is really starting to take interest in the bass.(sheds a tear)He has been going online and getting tabs for songs he wants to learn, I asked him yesterday if he wanted to start taking lessons, and he said why can't I just show him stuff. I did get him started and I do have a lot of experience but I don't feel like I should be teaching him. I had a problem coaching him in hockey. The boy didn't want to listen to the old man. I would like him to learn properly but I don't want to push too hard. How would I know when it is time to get him a teacher? How do I find a good one?

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Thanks Josh, I will watch him for the next couple of months or so and see how he does. He may loose interest. I have decided that I won't pressure him either way.

8. Yofclef

Yofclef

May 29, 2000
    USA Austin, Texas
    Yo,
    Well, I'm not sure how you can/should go about trying to teach him or make little hints about him taking some lesson from a Teacher or from you!
    Kids are funny sometimes...I know I have two. Force him to listen to you...I'm sure he will lose interest real fast...Same thing with making him go to Bass lessons. You may have to wait until he wants to do it or, he may just start to ask you, "How to do this or that..What does this means!" Give him some Space & Time. Be ready to help him when he does ask you something!
    What to look for in a Good Music/Bass Teacher/Instructor, I don't know. I just Lucked into the one I'm with right now.

9. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    I'm a "pro" in the sense that I earn a living as a professional bassist..and I'm self-taught:eek:

....on bass guitar.

I originally trained as a trumpeter where I learned theory and how to read which made it easier for me to make the transition. I taught myself for the simple reason there are NO "good" bass teachers where I'm from..and I mean in the whole country :rolleyes: (seriously, the pinnacle of bass playing here is "dancing in the moonlight" and you could name on one hand the amount of bassists who've even heard of Jaco/wooten/manring et al).

10. Yofclef

Yofclef

May 29, 2000
    USA Austin, Texas
    Yo Murf,
    Hey, you are one Determined Guy! My Hat goes off to you. You had to teach yourself by the fact of Pure Necessity!! You had no other choice!! And you have done a fine job...As making a living playing the Bass!! Well Done to you!!!
    I just know that I need some help, if I'm going to move up in my Music and playing the Bass!! I have taught myself to where I'm at right now. And to really move on, I feel I need Bass lessons!
    Not many people can do what you have done. Self-Taught vs Bass lessons...It is all a matter of your Environment, your Education, your Determination, your Dedication, your Ability, what you are going to give up to make it!!

11. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    cheers, well I wouldnt say I was determined just I believe if your gonna do something @ least do it right.

Seriously though there's a thriving "covers" band scene here and it's quite easy to gig 7 nights a week and get well paid for it as well (although it is very very hard work) the sad part is you dont even have to be a competent musician (in fact most bands rely heavily on backing tracks:rolleyes: ) also the musical tastes of the general poulation are pedestrian to say the least so to get the gigs you play Thin Lizzy, GnR, Bon Jovi, etc...Rock tunes basically.

Which to be perfectly honest arent very challenging bass wise.

So in my area you can be self taught and make a very good living (you mightnt be particularly good but it dosent matter...sad but true)

What keeps me sane is session work and little side projects which will never make me fabulously wealthy but gives me great personal satisfaction.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

I tried three different teachers and stayed with the one that I felt most comfortable with and who seemed to be teaching me what I needed to learn.

13. mastadulog

mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    can someone refer me to a good teacher in the nyc area?

14. Yofclef

Yofclef

May 29, 2000
    USA Austin, Texas
    Yo Murf,
    Ok...I see! Hey, there is nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. You're doing the best you can in your area!!
    I'll bet that your Seeion work and little project do help keep you from going over the Edge!! Personal Satisfaction is Great!! LOL!!

15. I am self taught at the actual bass, and professionally taught in classical and jazz theory through high school and university.
    This was due to the lack of good teachers around at the time. I did not want to be taught to play bass by a guitar teacher.

It have probably taken longer to learn the instrument, but my theory background stood me in good stead. I aim to hook up with a teacher within the next year to correct my sloppy habits (not to mention my slap technique) and to help set off on the path to musical greatness.

16. Yofclef

Yofclef

May 29, 2000
    USA Austin, Texas
    Yo 5s_tring freak,
    Oh Great...You seem to have insight into both sides of this discussion! I always felt that Theory helped a person with their Music!! I can understnad why you would not want to be taught by a Guitar teacher...You would want someone with [B[Low End experiance[/B]!!
    Cool..You plan on Hooking Up with a Teacher for some help...No harm in that!!

17. I would have a teacher right now if it wasn't for my current schedule. I work 40 hours a week, plus full time university student, plus social life and bands commitments.

When i finish uni, a teacher is the first thing i will be searching for.

18. Yofclef

Yofclef

May 29, 2000
    USA Austin, Texas
    Yo 5s_tring freak,
    WOW!! You are one Very Busy guy!! I see no way that you can be seeing a Bass teacher right now!! Your Plate is Full!! LOL!!
    However...You have a Good plan once you finish School!! I'm sure you will Do GOOD!!!!
    "One's health and ability rise directly as one asserts greater and surer control over his surroundings."

19. Yofclef

Yofclef

May 29, 2000
    USA Austin, Texas
    Yo Mastadulog,
    I don't live in the Big Apple but, if you go to www.ActiveBass.com and on the Home Page there is a Link that you can click on. It is Find a Teacher. From there it will lead you to a list, click on View Teacher by Country . Next click on United States. Then click on NEW YORK!! There will be a list of 28 teachers in the New York area. I hope that there is one near you!!
    Give this a try...OK???
    "An individual is as well off as he can change things in location in space."

20. FunkMasterMile

FunkMasterMile

Sep 1, 2002
    MN
    what i beleive is the proper path and is what i, myself did is that for the first year, you go solo, practice by yourself learn songs by tableture, then if you feel that you would like to learn more then you go to seek out a teacher of some sort. an experienced bassist can teach you what you need to know through his/her own personal experiences, some teachers will charge you somthing for it but if you be a good student they most likely will cut you a deal, at least in my experience that is the best way.