Lessons vs. Self-Taught

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ishmael_the_god, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9 Guest

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    HOWEVER

i really wish i would have had an instructor when i was starting out and even now im still looking for one. in fifth grade i started band in school. we were given a few books, a few pointers and from that we were pretty much to teach ourselves. from that i developed some bad habits that were pretty hard to rid myself of. in class we would go over your basic major scales like Bb.. Eb.. etc. we'd go up our eight notes and go down and at that time.. hey we were pretty proud of ourselves.. couple years later reality shows that.. THERE ARE MORE THAN EIGHT NOTES ON THE THING!! :rolleyes: :D

i realize at that age we wouldnt have really grasped everything there is to know about modes and even all the different scales and what not.. but its pretty obvious to me that i would have benefitted so, so much with a private teacher. as people have stated before, its important to find a good instructor; just because the guy is an incredible bassist.. doesnt necessarily mean that he can make you one. for example, the local shop here gives lessons. they teach you the basics, some skills, technique.. what not. but after you have that done, their lessons become "what song do you want me to show you". for people looking to accell in the instrument.. not the best of help.

as i search for a teacher, i understand that for others.. teaching themselves at their own rate is the best thing for them. i feel like i need to be challenged more to get better.

ill end my rambling now. do whats best for YOU.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...damn, that reminds me; I've had the same strings on my guitar for 24 years.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I would take on anybody who has been taking lessons for 2 years...to me self-teaching gives you self-motivation, which is way better then a teacher telling you what to do. If you are going the self-teach route then you really need to jam and play with a lot of people though, and you'll figure things out yourself. You can't sit at home and play a bunch of Flea songs. Of course I had 6 years, of piano lessons, and that may have helped me learn bass.

4. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I first learned how to play from Simon Gallup from the Cure. I had THE CURE IN ORANGE video and practiced to that for a few months. It worked pretty well for me. I've played in a bunch of different bands over the last 10 years.

It was hard enough, at that time, just to scrape up enough money for a bass, practice amp and a strap, much less paying $30 per half hour for traditional bass lessons. Just didn't have the cash.

If you have the cash, go with pro lessons but if not, you just do what you can and just play.....copy stuff off records, videos, etc.

my .02 cents worth.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Okay. How do you want to do this? :)

6. ishmael_the_god

ishmael_the_god Guest

Apr 12, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I should have known that evoking opinions about everyone's musical education would cause conflict. We all feel strongly about the way we learned the instrument -- nobody spends years at something and doesn't have an opinion on how they spent their time. Someone above posted the answer, I think.......do what's best for you :) :)

Rock n Roll.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Which is always going to be, of course - to have lessons!! :)

8. ishmael_the_god

ishmael_the_god Guest

Apr 12, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    ......<sigh>.......

Do you know what's best for me, Bruce?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Of course - it's the same for everyone! ;)

10. Bruce Lindfield

And don't forget to drink plenty of water eat 5 portions of fruit a day, get plenty of exercise and avoid animal fat - it's the same for everyone!

We all know what's "best" for us - doesn't mean to say we always do it though! ;)

11. ishmael_the_god

ishmael_the_god Guest

Apr 12, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    You can't make that call for me.

Alot of people say that going to college is best for you, but I know alot of people who don't belong there. But they ARE there because everyone tells them, "You have to go to college, it's the best for you." These people don't learn well in that environment, and will only blossom on their own.

The same can be said about music teachers. While you can make the general assumption that lessons are the best for everyone, even if they don't agree, it does not apply to everyone. Some people learn better on their own.

Don't generalize.

12. Bruce Lindfield

I find it's "best for me"! ;)

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!!

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    When my wife had a flying lesson I'm really glad she let the instructor tag along.

15. ishmael_the_god

ishmael_the_god Guest

Apr 12, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I fear I'm losing ground, but I'll keep digging...

First of all, success in life is not measured by your position, your wallet, or your education. It is measured by personal happiness and growth. Success in music is not measured by lessons, or record contracts and platinum albums. It is measured by individual appeciation of ability.

Take the same self-taught *successes* and ask them if they would have learned what they did if they went to school, and they'll say no. It's all a matter of perspective -- you can learn alot from a teacher, but there are things you can only learn on your own. I guess these things are called "Life Skills", and they apply to life as well as music.

College was good for me, but to quote the Boss, "We learned more from a three-minute record, man, than we ever learned in school."

There are things you learn from school, from teachers, and there are things you learn on your own. Which is more important? Which is better? Well, damn, we're all different, and what's important to us all is different.

I don't disagree with anything anyone has said. All I am trying to say is that no one has the right to tell me I have to take lessons to be a better player, or go to school to be a better person. What you can do, and have done, is give advice. Which is all I wanted to begin with :cool:

16. ishmael_the_god

ishmael_the_god Guest

Apr 12, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Ed - I am glad we are all adults here, and won't resort to name-calling.

I respect everyone's opinion here. I would appreciate it if I got the same.

Your path was a sound and direct one. Mine perhaps is not so smooth. But what I have learned I value, and I learned it on my own.

To all -- I simply want you to concede that there is more than one path, and the ones you didn't follow aren't necessarily wrong.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've never had lessons. When I first started, I practiced for about 30 -35 hours a week! My wife has the headaches to prove it!:D I was in the studio 2 weeks after I'd started, and on live TV about a month after that! Jeff Berlin once said that no one is totally "self taught", and I agree. I owe a lot to monster bassists, both famous and not, who's given me little tips here and there. I plan on getting lessons one day, but right now my schedule won't allow it. Does this work for everyone? Of course not, but it worked for me.

18. BIg O

BIg O Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Kitchener, ON, Canada
    I think, if you reflect on this quote, you will eventually come to realize that no one learns ANYTHING on their own. From the time we are born, we are learning from the collective human experience of the past, and in that way hopefully contributing our small bit to that collective knowledge for future consumption and evolution.

Regardless of your creed, gender, race or education, this is the one absolute in life - it is consistent in all major formal and informal spiritual beliefs, and the sooner one learns it the better one can contribute to society and ONESELF.

If you are "learning music on your own", does this mean you listen to no players, read no theory, emulate no masters, and build all of your own instruments from scratch? I think not.

****wise old oriental voice on****
    Listen to the oracles, grasshopper, for they will tell you all you need to know.
    ****wise old oriental voice off**** ;)

My apologies to all for the preceding smug pontification. :cool:

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Oh, without a doubt! I would've been much further along! I went to a teacher the first week I started, and he tried to start me out with "Coming 'Round The Mountain", and in all of my arrogance, I didn't want to learn that. I went home and put on my favorite records, learned the basslines, and then learned how they came up with those lines. In retrospect, "Coming 'Round..." would've been great for a beginner, it would've taught me timing!
    I joined a few bands, and made sure that I was the weakest link in the band, and man did my playing take off!

20. ishmael_the_god

ishmael_the_god Guest

Apr 12, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Being an adult, Ed, isn't about age, it's a matter of maturity. Name calling and looking for excuses to cut somebody down don't exactly scream out to me as mature actions. My real name is Nick. My last name is Timkovich, which many people have a hard time with. I use Ishmael for alot of reasons, and I happen to like it. "the_god" comes from a very strange tennis match I had many years ago.

Please pay attention to what I have said....Never once did I say that I don't place the same value on what I learn from others. And I never said I don't value self-sufficiency above quality. I said I "valued what I have learned on my own", which does not mean I don't value anything else.

I don't think we are getting anywhere. I started this thread to see how everyone felt about lessons and being self-taught. All I would like to hear now is that there is some validity to being self-taught, which I think there is. Ed disagrees....well, actually most of you disagree. That's your OPINION, and I have mine. You can tell me that I am a fool, that I am stupid, you can even call me a goat, but I know there are good things about being self-taught.

Peace.