Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Aug 12, 2001.

1. hello there

i was wondering something. this may seem like a stupid or overall vague question to ask (but thats usual for me as you'll know if you know me...thanx steve!)

anyways from your own personnal experiences how many lessons do you think a beginner (like myself) will need from a bass tutor before i they can play to a reasonal standard where there tutor has noting more to offer them?

got that? right...thanks so much to any one who answers.

AnT

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    There's no answer to that. I had been a full-time pro for ten years and was still taking lessons. I'm going to be taking more lessons soon. There will always be someone who knows lots more than you.

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hello AnT, welcome to Talkbass.

Pacman's right. And remember that saying: "never stop learning."

I've been taking lessons for a little over a year and that question of 'when do I stop taking lessons' never even crossed my mind. A good teacher will always have something new to offer you. If not, you keep searching.

Cheers :)
    Stephanie

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    as an addendum, consider this:

Rufus Reid, who quite literally wrote the book on jazz bass, just took a year off from his teaching gig at a university to study with his teacher. He's been playing with the best of the best for decades.

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Just think how good his teacher must be - it's a frightening thought. :eek:

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Or, Yawnsie, what a very different perspective.