Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lessons......

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Squad5o4, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Squad5o4

Squad5o4

Nov 6, 2001
    Abilene Tx
    I have finally decided after playin just about 2 years that i need to start taking lessons. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions. I live in Abilene Tx, so there arnt many good resources for bass players. I am an intermediate player, can read, and sight read music on bass guitar, and upright. I know some music theory as well, and have a fair ear. I need someone who can help me with improv, and helping me get down a practice routine.

Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not hip to that city in Texas, so these might be completely stupid suggestions... but:

Are there any community colleges or universities of any sort near you that have music programs? A lot of times, the instructors at schools will teach private lessons outside of the school to make extra bread.

Talk to the local music store(s). Find out who gives lessons in the area and who's good at what you want to learn. Generally speaking, music stores will be fairly hip to where the instructors are; and how good they are.

Good luck man.

3. Squad5o4

Squad5o4

Nov 6, 2001
    Abilene Tx
    There are 3 (christian) colleges in abilene. They have music programs, but no bass progamsto speak of, there is cellist who teaches the "bass department" at one of the schools, but hes not much help. Our music stores are of no help. They try to belittle me because im young, even though i can play almost as well as the store instructors. But, the small one here has a guy who works there, who PLAYS with a really good basist, who gives lessons, and im already considering him. But im just lookin for more options right now.