1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by shatterd, Mar 2, 2008.

1. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Need help. I have a new bass. I'm a beginner. I have played guitar for almost two years before making the switch to bass.

I have started taking bass lessons online at www.workshoplive.com

I also am buying some instructional DVD's.

Finally, I have put in a call to my old guitar teacher to enquire about him trying to teach me some bass. He's a very advanced guitar player, and I seem to remember him having a bass in his studio that he used for his recordings. I believe he can at least get me going and we can jam together while he plays along with me on guitar.

So I need advice. Do any of you know any other good sites that have online bass lessons? I really like workshoplive.com. They have streaming video, on screen tab, metronome, etc. Plus they start right at the beginning with the basics and progress towards intermediate and advanced playing.

Also, recommend some good instructional videos or courses that you have used and found very helpful. Some of the ones I bought initially were total crap. I think maybe 1 out of the 4 were actually usable.

I'd like to consider myself a serious student, and hope to play in a band by this time next year. I practice about 2 hours per day ....sometimes more on weekends. My goal is to put in 16-20 hours per week.

My favorite bands are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Rush, etc. I guess you could say I like rock, alternative, funk, fusion, progressive.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

2. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Check out StudyBass.com

3. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1. Pretty much everything I know about technique and theory comes from Studybass.com :smug:

4. aye studybass... great guy

5. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Be careful not to become overly dependent on books, videos, and teachers. They all good, but take time to just play, figure things out on your own, come up with stuff and try to figure out what it is, then if you can't ask your teacher. Need a balance of lessons/materials and just playing and listening to yourself play. One of the best tools for a musician is a recorder.