1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lessons ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by crispygoat, Aug 31, 2008.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    College has not started yet, but the music store is not far down the road from the school so I thought about getting theory lessons. Would you recommend so ? The sticky article looks really good, haven't checked into them that much. Would it be better / fast with a teacher or would i be better of saving my money and learning from the interweb ? i'm not completely n00b, i know my fretboard, i understand the ideas of scales, i know patterns for major and minor scales, i just don't know the whole Father Charles Goes.... by heart and for example, that the C Major Scale has no Sharp...

So what do you think ? What is the average price for lessongs ?

2. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would say get a book or find an online source and start working on your own. If not sure about something ask here or there. If still stuck then consider some theory lessons. What you want is a teacher who can mix theory with your bass lesson so you see how they relate. Like the C major scale learn how its constructed and how it relates to the fingering pattern you know.

The best way to learn is to teach. Find someone at the same level as you to work with on music. Explain/teach what you learn to them and visa-versa. If you can explain something to someone else that means you understand it yourself. Partnering with someone both of you will learn faster.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    A good teacher can get you started and keep you on track, and clear up misconceptions for you quickly. But then, part of my income comes from teaching double bass and theory, so there y' go... :D

This website is pretty cool for giving you an overview of very basic theory; www.musictheory.net
    Check out all the ear training tools as well.

There are other, more advanced sites online, but this one's a nice little jumpstart.

4. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Since you are going back to school you might as well just register for "Foundations of Music" or the equivalent music theory course...It would probably count as an elective and if you still need help applying it all to bass then get some lessons.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I agree with registering for Theory 101. In the books that we used, it started off with reading in 3 clefs with the focus being on treble & bass.

Taking theory will help your playing immensely. If you can take lessons with someone in addition to taking the class-they should be able to show you on bass, what you are learning in the class.