Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LESSONS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hello...

a local guitar store around here wants $76(a month) for half an hour private lessons.

I know nothing about lesson pricings...

is this a good deal?:meh:

thanks...

-Jon:oops:

2. bump?:meh:

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Is that for one weekly half-hour lesson? If so, that's about average.

For the record, I charge $35/hour for my lessons, and generally most of my students come every other week. I don't like half-hour lessons, can't get into enough detail and really work on things in that short of a time.

4. Yes...it would be weekly.

you teach? aww dude...thats sweet:)

how's business?:D

I found another place. I am going to call there tomorrow...see how there rates are.

I'm with you on the hourly thing...I wanna find lessons that are an hour long,so he/she can cram in as much knowledge as possible...so I can work it out and "discover" on my own the next week...:)

thanks for the insight

5. i pay 15 bucks a week for bass. and 10 bucks a week for guitar. both half hour lessons

6. One thing is, don't feel compelled to go to a music store for lessons. Alot of times you will find local players who teach privately. These guys gig, and usually know their stuff. That being said, ask around, get as much info as you can. Where do you live? There are probably some sick TBer's who could teach you as well.

7. this would be 18 dollars a session...is that worth it?:meh: I am asking around before I sign up...

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Groovecenter has a good point, don't limit yourself to teachers in stores. Ask any and all working bassists you know in your area, they will know the good teachers (and may BE the good teachers) and can point you in the right direction. I now teach out of a store (wonder if y'all can guess which one! ;) ), but for years before that, I taught out of my home or traveled to the student's house (still do, although infrequently, for one student that I had before I started teaching at the shop).

Also, if the first thing the teacher asks you is "What song do you want to learn this week?", run, don't walk out of the lesson and go find a real teacher. :D

9. $18 per half hour lesson is really cheap! There's no reason not to give it a try. But you might prefer to take a full hour lesson every other week, to give yourself more time to settle into each lesson and get something done, as well as more time to practice between lessons.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I agree with Gard and GC - try to find a teacher who is a bassist, not just a "guitarist who also plays bass".

Also agree on the 1/2 hr vs. 1 hr thing - IMO half an hour just isn't enough. You'll find that it's time to go just as you're getting really fired up.

11. I should have mentioned--location is probably an issue. Your profile doesn't give us any inofrmation! I'm in New York City, and I pay:

$40/hr for my bass teacher at her house, every other week

$50/ hr for my other bass teacher at my house (and the same price for the same guy to teach my husband guitar), about once/month for each of us

$60/ hr for my daughter's clarinet and sax teacher at my house, weekly

$25/ half hour for my other daughter's trumpet teacher at my house, weekly

I also pay $15/week to play at a jam session coordinated by my first teacher for about 3 hours, with a professional drummer. If you have any chance of joining something like that, take it! I've been playing for about a year, and playing with others has been terrific. (As the bass player, I'm playing all the time while the horn players take turns. They should charge me extra!)

12. You pay to play??? :eek:

13. I live in Baltimore,MD...I am going to call this one place thats supposedly really close in a little bit. I don't know. I think I'd prefer hourly lessons...so I can learn as much as possible. It's kind of like school...how can they teach you much if you gotta start packing up 5 minutes into it?:meh:

I'm nervous. Yet excited to learn more.

P.S- I appreciate all the good insight,usually I'd get a nice "you want lessons?! hahahahah"

14. I've only been playing for a year, and to tell you the truth, they could charge me whatever they want and I would pay it. It's priceless for my teacher to hear me play with the group for 3 hours. She knows exactly what to assign me next.

It's a studio in Manhattan that offers jams with a professional coordinator in each room, every Saturday night. We're all bunnies, and none of us is good enough to be "in a band," or doesn't have those aspirations. I mostly play at home with my husband and kids, and I'll never join a band or go to a jam session at a bar at midnight.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea thats a decent price.

16. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I pay $80 a month.

17. Well...I slept the whole day away yesterday(seriously...12pm-9pm) , so I didn't get to call them. I am going to call later though. around 1...

thanks

18. Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were paying to play an actual show with an audience (like in a club). If it's a learning environment, that's different.

19. Hello...

My mom found a place pretty damn close to where I live,and she checked there...and it's like 2 dollars less,and she said it's a very comfortable "enviorment" and the guy is a bass guru,they also do repair:)

Gonna call this week,can't wait!

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Going rate around here is on the norm $10 for a 1/2 hour weekly lesson. Ironically, it's the same price as it was 17-18 years ago when I started.