Lest We Forget.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by merlin, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Today is Remembrance Day. So here's to all who served in World War One, and any other war for that matter.

Lest We Forget

2. Wow a serious post from ":D :D Merls"? You know now that you have ruined your reputation.

But anyways, we should all be thanking them for their service to our countries, not just for getting a day off from school.
  3. Yes i have used my quartley quota of serious post(s).

4. One of my great great uncles got shot 7 times in ww1 and ended up dying in a mental institution.

Lest we forget.
  5. My great grandfather was gassed during WWI. I believe it was Mustard gas, but not sure during which 'battle'. After the war, he was in a lot of pain - throat, lungs, nasal passages. Sadly the only time when he wasn't in pain was when he was drunk. Apparently after the war, he stayed almost perpetually drunk to get rid of the pain.

I never new him.

Lest we forget.
  6. Yes indeed. We call it Veteran's day here in the U.S., but, it's the same thing.

My father was a gunner on a B-17, my uncle Arthur was in the battle of the Bulge and almost had to have a foot amputated due to frostbite and my uncle Joe was in a few very bloody south pacific campaigns; I don't know which ones though. And my mom's brother, my uncle Vinny was also in the pacific, on some kind of Navy ship.My mother used
    to say it was a miracle all of them came back in
    one piece.

To anyone who served, thank you.

And to those who never came back, what can I say? :(

Good thread, Merls.

Mike J.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    As a 23 year Marine Corps veteran, my dad did a tour of Korea and two tours of Vietnam. He was as tough as they come.
    He was buried on this day (Memorial Day) nine years ago.
  9. Part of my housemate's family was gassed in Auschwitz :( The surving members of that side of the family just cannot ever bring themselves to even mention it.

I forgot how my Dad avoided being sent to Vietnam, but I know my uncle just barely avoided it from being a medical doctor over here. Or at least that is my guess.
  10. None of my family has ever served in a war. So we get a lot of flack for that for some reason.
  11. Just ignore it. It is ignorant people trying to put your family down. Just because you didn't serve in the military means nothing.
  12. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    My Grandfather was in the Navy and he saw alot of his friends die. He died of heart complications a few years back. he was the best father figure besides my mothers boyfriend that Ive had in my life.
    Ill never forget my Grampy.:)
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am eternally greatful for those who went and did what I have not been asked to do.

I am not sure if I could have measured up in a similar situation.

I'm am so glad that many did.
  14. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    it's ok, don't listen to or take the flak given by others b/c of the whole not being in any war thing. war is a terrible thing, no shame in being involved in a terrible thing.

and today, i will be remembering my great grandpap, who served in world war I. the rest of my family who served is still alive, both my grandpapa, one served in italy in WWII, the other played in the military band in europe in WWII.
  15. My grandfather fought in North Africa, then got sent up to Europe to help with the liberation of Dachau. He got shot once, and was awarded the Bronze Star for helping defend a forward hospital from a German advance.

My Uncle and my Scout Master both fought as Gunship Pilots during Vietnam, and my uncle is missing half his left leg because of it.

Lest We Forget...

Rock on

16. There's no shame in that. In wartime, everyone is involved. Soldiers cannot fight without guns, amm, rations! The home front wherever you are from, America, Britain, Germany, Japan......... was a brutal front for every civilian in every war.

Sometimes as brutal as the fronts that people of all nations brother's, father's son's........ fought on. From all nations! Remember all those that died - because of the whims of politicians!
  17. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Pops was a B-24 crew chief in England (Ploesti stories :D ).
    His bro (my Unc) was a P-38 mechanic in the South Pacific.
    Another Uncle (Mom's bro) was an Avenger pilot and later LSO
    in the the South Pacific.
    A couple 2nd cousins did tours in Vietnam.

never forget :).