1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lester Hold (NBC) playing an EB3?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Today talk-host Lester Holt (a reknowned bass player in his own right years ago) sat in with the Jefferson Starship (i.e., Paul Kanter) on bass and appeared to be playing an ebony Epiphone EB3 (couldn't see the headstock clearly), long-scale. Anyoen else to confirm, deny, or express amazement? BTW, his chops weren't bad!

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Lester Holt is a pretty decent bassist, he sits in a lot with bands that appear on the Today show. IIRC, Lester is really a DB player, first and foremost.

And it sure looked like an EB3, but the tone was pure crappy late '60's snot. More like a burp than a bass ..... ;)

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    He used to play bass in Phil Upchirch's trio

GM

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
  5. I used to have an EB3--despite my prediliction for more expensive instruments--and loved everything about it except for the bridge poles pulling out of the body when I put flats on it (turns out they weren't drilled straight), the tone controls having absolutely no effect, and the muddy sound being fun but impractical for anything newer than classic Motown (did that pretty well, 'specially "Ball of Confusion"), and, and the neck dive being so pronounced (tho I could have lived with that). I just wish Epiphone had upgraded the model instead of cheapening it. A lot of us aging boomers have the scratch to buy a nice one even if its a one trick pony, and who else is going to want one anyway? I think the newer Gibson SG reissues are way overpriced (though that "faded" model at MF looks prety good, even if its not made in the US and has a plastic--vs corian--nut). Just some old hippie reflections. Play on Lester. BTW, Kantner's Rick was to die for. I'm out!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021