1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let another guy use my rig now its blown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whatpocket, May 11, 2011.

1. whatpocket

whatpocket

May 11, 2011
    I need to replace the speakers. I have a peavey cabinet with 8 10"s. and i dont know whats a good replacement speaker...:scowl:

2. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light.

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Bet you don't do that again.... just yankin yer chain :D

That's why mechanics don't loan tools..

Auto Mechanic
    Bass Mechanic .... same thing..

8 new speakers will be spendy - 89.00 each for Celestion + shipping ... Britishaudioservice dot com

Trace Elliot 1048H Speaker
    Trace Elliot 10" 200W @ 8 Ohm Bass Loudspeaker. Replacement Driver for 1048 Bass Cabinets. For Older Models, We Recommend Replacing all Four Drivers.
    Model #: 75-TE-BS-10200-8
    Price: $107.19 Each
    On sale for: $89.95

3. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light.

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    FLIPTOPS SPECIAL DESIGN 10SVT NEO SPEAKER 8PK

reg $ 640.00 .... On sale $560.00

4. whatpocket

whatpocket

May 11, 2011
    I learned a big lesson with this one..... So trying to be a nice guy just hit me hard in the wallet.
    :rollno:Thanks for the info

5. I hope yer at least getting the guy to help pay for the new speakers.

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Make sure you don't get the wrong speakers. I learned a moderately priced lesson about fart-out by buying a replacement speaker without getting advice on here first.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The Peavey 810's are ported. Sticking ampeg (sealed cab) replacements in there isn't going to turn it into an ampeg. Sticking those Celestions in there isn't going to make it a Trace either.

OP, for anything other than direct replacements from Peavey you need to post the internal dimensions of your cab and it's tuning port to get any intelligent advise. Also make sure all the speakers are indeed blown and it's not some other problem.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The best way to refuel one of those big ass cabs on a budget is MCM's cheap ass speakers.

MCM Audio Select 10'' Die Cast Professional Woofer - 250W RMS | 55-2981 (552981) | MCM Audio Select

They get even cheaper, too:
    MCM Audio Select 10" Woofer with Poly Cone and Rubber Surround 100W RMS at 8ohm | 55-2972 (552972) | MCM Audio Select

All are pretty decent. Nothing to write home about, but low enough Fs for bass usage and the price is right. Decent Xmax too.

* I used one of their PS10 copies a few years ago to replace the blown 10 in an SWR triad and it worked just peachy. Sounded OK, nothing to write home about. I wouldn't hesitate to plunk a bunch of the ~20 dollar ones into a cab.

* they provide almost all of the TS specs you need to make an informed decision about a cabinet, too, which is rare for cheap ass speaker vendors.

9. Er, why don't you just get whatever kind of speaker it came with? Just call Peavey customer service and ask them.

10. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    This...

Different spec'd speakers need different enclosures. Buy identical replacements...

11. Avatar website still shows Celestion 10's at a great price $120 for 4 shipped:

You can't order over the internet, you have to talk to them by phone to order; maybe they'd have an idea whether the Celestions would be a good match for your Peavey cab.

12. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes...Peavey...find the blown driver and get a replacement from.....PEAVEY

13. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    probably just one went south don't ya think ?

14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Exactly what I was thinking.

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Trash it and buy another used cab. Really. You're looking at $400 or more to replace eight drivers, possibly a lot more. Absolutely ignore all the wags telling you to buy this that and the other thing with no regard to whether they'd work in your cab.

I assume you've made sure that all the drivers actually need to be replaced. If it's only one or two get replacements from Peavey to match the originals.

16. Yep......usually not all of them.

Check to see if they have field replaceable baskets like Black Widows. Otherwise reconing is cheaper, especially when multiple drivers are blown.

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Reconing typically runs about $75, which usually makes buying a new driver the less expensive option in the case of lower priced OEM grade drivers.

18. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    yup though if it were dead it would be the coil not the cone correct ? Also it depends on how it's wired , while Bill is here I'll ask , Bill is it series or Parallel wiring where if one speaker dies they all die ?