Let me ask you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tyler_The_Hate, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Tyler_The_Hate

Apr 9, 2005
    I started playing bass about 10 years ago and i am at an intermediate level. Im not great or awe inspiring but im not a total slouch. i can hit some good scales and rythms and even pull some decent slapping off. i could probably have gotten better at my slap tech but in the bands that i have been in there has really been no need to so i never pushed myself on.

now heres the question. i realize that alot of people pick an instrument because they really love that particualr one or they are just generally music lovers. i do love music and playing it is my life. but on the latter side i am a gi-normaous attention hog and my only real intention in bands is chicks and partying. there in i know there are those of you out there who share my veiws.

i have come to learn that as a basssist i am not really getting ANY respect in from poeple. i have always been in rock bands and of course you get the HUGE guitar solos and even those heavy drum hits but alas the bass in this style of music is usually pretty stuck to roots notes and playing behind the guitar. i will usualy TRY and fluff it up a bit and that adds but hey it is no thrashing guitar solo (mostly im talking cover stuff). also i dont really get the lets say "opposite sex's" attraction like the singers or guitarists usually do. the only thing that does seem to work is that im always the best (not to sound cocky casue im way far form that) looking in any band ive been in. and on a more general side im usually the last person even agknowledged as there by on lookers. its always "hey that guiatar solo was fookin awsome", or "you wrecked those drums", but only MAYBE 1/10th the time i here (and usually from another bass player) "dude nice playin".

the thing is here and i am sounding a bit whiny i know this, but im looking to see if any other bassist has had these same thoughts and if they went through with them and are happier now, or even pass that realized it wasnt for them.
    I want to know if i should drop the bass where i stand and start taking HEAVY guitar lessons (i can rythm thats it right now and trust me singing is WAY out of the question LOL). ive looked into financial aspects of a signed band and 90% of bassists dont get a fair cut of anything either because they are not as image integral to a band. i think Gene Simmons was the only exception to the rule. and the funny thing about him is if you ask a non musician who he was they always say "he was the guitarist or singer for kiss wasnt he?"

I aksed myself a question once. "Do i wanna be a great respected muscian or a rock star?"
    my answer was "whatever gets me rich and laid more now cause once im dead its done anyway"
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You need to solo! It's the best way to show off your skills to people who don't pay attention to bassists. Speak to your band, and get some solo-time.
  3. Playing in a band doesn't automatically get you laid even if you are the singer/guitarist. I don't know you so I don't have any real advice, but being good looking isn't even that important. Most chicks are actually attracted to personality (hard to believe eh?). I don't know about the bassists not getting a fair cut of money either, because I think if the people in your band respect you, you will get a fair cut.

You have to realize though, there are many, many more guitarists than bassists, thus making it harder to make it as a guitarist than a bassist.

But if you want to play those crazy solos, I would get a guitar and take some lessons, but I wouldn't stop playing bass in case you actually don't like it.

I don't know if that helped at all.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Problem is, being so obsessed with something so shallow will make your playing shallow too. Not that playing bass would be a less shallow choice, after all, what really matters is what you do with it and what you get out of it.
  5. I solo in my band everyonce in a while, and sometimes people don't notice it. You should probably just get a guitar and maybe start a band, but keep bassin' on.
  6. Tyler_The_Hate

Apr 9, 2005
    same deal, i would fluff stuff up on covers and solo a bit original but usually only another bassist would even notice.

and yes i am a very self indulged shallow person, and i worry almost way too much about how i look lol. in someones eyes it may make me a bad person but im honest enough to speak out, and and openly say what i want. my playing never gets shallow i always try my hardest when writing original stuff to do my best, but you do get those times when your writing that you just go "why?". i respect every person who loves what they do and how they do it. and if not being noticed doesnt bother you, then i say i envy you in ways you can not imagine.

my main reasoning was to ask if anyone tried switching form bass to guitar and if they were either happier or just went back. i love the band im in now, i get alot of freedom with my playing and its only a 3 peice (thank god, no double guitars),. but alas again im shallow and i want to be in that front line raking in multi millions one day as a very image integral part. no one wants to be in the back of every photo.
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have had a few solos in my school jazz bigband concerts, and no one noticed them either. You're talking to tylerthehate about getting a guitar, not me right? I already had a guitar once. Sold it, because bass is my real instrument, and I wanted some $$$. I didn't really switch from bass to guitar and then back to bass, I just owned a guitar at one point.
  8. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I get the best of both worlds--I play bass in a recording studio, and with the guys that own the studio, and I play baritone in a metal band. The singer in the metal band and I couldn't find a guitarist that would follow our vision of the band, they all either sucked, or suffered from '80's interminable solo syndrome :spit: . So I picked up guitar, since I had some classical training in college. I hated it. We started listening to heavier and heavier bands, and I heard about this device called a "baritone" guitar...this thing is great, tuned (for me) a fifth down, and it's got two bass strings attatched as well, so it doesn't feel like a toy in my hands.

I enjoy playing baritone, and I'm glad I can still play my bass, as well. The bad news? I don't get any more attention from the girls than I do as a bass player. This is good, since I'm married, but I'd at least like the oppurtunity to turn the girls down. My singer still gets all the babes. I think that if you didn't get "opposite sex" attention as a bass player, simply changing instruments won't do it for you.
  9. Tyler_The_Hate

Apr 9, 2005
    lol i dint say i had problems getting chicks just that bassist dont get the same attention a singer would ha ha. sorry maybe that was a bad example. oh well ill figure it out i guess.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dude. You are playing the wrong instrument to be a rock star. Take a hint from the clues. Everybody watches the lead guitarist and the drummer. The only people who watch the bass player are other bass players, and almost all of them are guys. So you have a choice: Learn to play lead guitar, or become gay.
  11. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I usually garner some attention through showmanship. I tend to be exciting to watch, I guess you might say. I also act as a multi-instrumentalist playing keyboard in parts of songs and even a third guitar in one song(my band has two guitarists).

I don't know about the girls...but I have a fun time with what I play and although recognition from anybody is favorable, it's having fun that I enjoy. I still get featured prominently in what my band does(pics, video, etc...) but that's in part to being sort of like the band leader in the group...basically I"d say just demand the place you want and usually people will accomodate you(as long as the issue is not pushed to an unbearable point).

Don't know if any of that helps, but it's what I do.
  12. wow, brilliance.... :meh: (just kidding, munji is sarcasm-queen... :eek: ,.... whups i'm doomed....)

have fun. be gay (go munji!!) or do whatever... it's your deal.. Joke 'em if they can't take a f***.... i do it for fun. your milage may vary... :D
  13. You probably need to become a rapper ... ;)
  14. ...or you can do what Nicki Sixx did to get tons of girls.

Get a Codpiece.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, yes, but if you're getting groupie action, keep in mind the kind of fame-mongering groupie action you'd be getting. You may get filthy rich, but if you've got filthy gential herpes, are you willing to make the trade of?
  16. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Brendan, thats a little harsh, but so true...:p

I mean, why worry about getting laid and stuff? It'll most likely come in time; I say focus on the music man... and if you really wanna get noticed, try ska - bass drives everything in it.
  17. I don't have any problem getting attention while playing bass on stage, and I almost never play any solos. I just go for a great tone and do my best to groove and be charismatic.

Do you really think switching to guitar will get you more attention? If you're comfortable onstage, it will show, even if you're playing a freakin' kazoo.
  18. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    If chicks only were attracted to good looking or flashy playing pals, I'd still be a virgin!