1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let me introduce hot sisters: Fender Aerodyne Jazz and Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr M, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Achtung! A very long post...

OK, I bought from great TB'er Pedroims the Fender Aerodyne Precision Bass that I was desperately GASing to put at side of her sister Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass :smug:

This is how it reached me today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For my Aerodyne Jazz, which is now my number 1 bass, I had some modifications done. As:
    - I have changed the stock PU's to DiMarzio model P and model J PU's.
    - I have installed a Hipshot X-tender
    - I have installed Dunlop StrapLocks

I am writing here again my experience so that other TB'er can profit.
    Some comments for DiMarzio's. I highly recommend those PU's. My first concern was that the stock PU's could not follow the curvature of the fretboard thus the strings. The outer strings (E and G) were louder than the inner strings (A and D) as they were closer to PU's. Although I lowered the outer sides of the neck P PU, there was no chance to adjust the bridge J PU. DiMarzio model J and P come with adjustable pole pieces. So I adjusted the heights and now they are following the curvature and I have even sounding stings. And the sound they put is so nice that I recommend any Aerodyne owners to give that set a try.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For Hipshot X-tender, well I installed BT3 in black. It does the job,
    BUT:
    - It is not a direct replacement (eventhough Jason from Hipshot said me so), you have to drill new holes for screws.
    See the hole under the X-tender
    [​IMG]

- Its color is different from the other tuning pegs (it is black) but you have that John Entwistle effect ;) It is smaller and shorter too :(
    [​IMG]

- The string post (the part that you wind the string around) is smaller than the stock ones. So the E string tends slightly towards bass side after the string nut. And it looks funny.
    [​IMG]

But I am happy as I use it extensively while playing live.

And my first thoughts about Aerodyne Precision. I like the natural color on it, it is just so sexy. It has the same curvature on body (thinner on edges, thicker at the center) and body binding as her Jazz sister with matching headstock. Those are what I like most in them.
    I am not sure why Fender Japan decided to use pickguard on Precisions. They could do it as Jazzes without PG. But the PG that Pedro has already put looks nice and will probably stay on it.
    I am thinking of taking completely out the bridge PU to make it a pure Precision :rolleyes: I will let the PU hole empty (or maybe I' d put a Star Wars character there:). I'll probably try an EMG P pickup to have a different sound. I actually not decided yet on which way to go as PU wise. Antiquity is another option (OK, I know those are apples and papayas :)

And eventhough the nut width is like a Jazz, the neck surprisingly is different than the Aerodyne Jazz. It is thicker, beefier. I wish it was thin like her sister but I'll get used to it. So if you like thicker necks, you should try Aerodyne Precision if Aerodyne Jazz did not do it for you.

Finally here are some pictures of those two hot sisters (any psychoanalyst? :D:D:D)

[​IMG]

ohne flash :D

[​IMG]

Hot bodies :bag:

[​IMG]

The headstocks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'll get rid of that sticker soon

Big bottom, big bottom
    Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em
    [​IMG]

Thinner edges, body binding, life and everything

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a final one

[​IMG]

and one last word, if there are some errors in my English, well I am not a native speaker, have some mercy!;)

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Sweet basses, I'd keep the J in the Precision though, you loose nothing by having it there, and gain another option should you need it.

3. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Nice pair.

Is it me or are the pups on the jazz higher up on the body then the pups on the P?

Good to hear that you like the DiMarzios. I'm thinking of putting a set on My Fernandes PJ

4. gato0083

gato0083

Jan 22, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    absolutely gorgeous J and that says alot because I'm not a fan of fender basses in the least.
    for realsies.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I really like the Aerodyne P. Great looking bass and very functional too. I wouldn't touch it. Why would you take out the J PU? Just don't use it.

6. CallieBum73

CallieBum73

Oct 24, 2007
    Roanoke, Va
    How much do they weigh? Been looking for a lighter bass than my 500 lbs Ibanez...beautiful btw

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nice pair. Funny to have both a J and P and the pups are same configuration. I had the same all black Jazz, so I naturally lust after your P bass more. Very nice.

8. Well you are right, it didn't catch my attention before you said it. The pickup locations are different in those Aerodynes. Here are some pictures (rule beginning at the end of the 12th fret). The jazz's PUs are closer to the neck.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

BTW both basses weigh approx. 3,75 kg

9. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I wish they made the P in black.

10. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts

Actually looking at the photos both pups are about 1/2" closer on the jazz. Do you notice any difference in sound between the 2 when playing on just the P pup?

11. maybe a black pickguard with white edge on the jazz?
    they look killer

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 the black on black with no pickguard ply lines doesn't do it for me. The P is gorgeous tho!

13. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Looks good to me. I love those Ps.

14. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    I own the aerodyne precision in natural rosewood, and I love it! It's very light so it's your legs that gets tired before your back with this baby :D

And you get a really beefy precision tone with it, I tend to stay away from the jazz pickup (it sounds so thin on this one, I don't know if that's just me not liking jazz basses though...), and I just EQ some more mid and treble to it for some clankiness, Duff Mckagan style ;)

Billede018.

DR Lo-rider 0.40-100 strings, I prefer the gnarly sound you get from rotosounds, but because of their short lifespan, these strings are the closest you can get to them.

Billede020.
    Billede019.

15. Is that a "foto finish" on the P?

16. Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to be sure. I am not sure what is the reason but the P on precision sounds beefier to my ears.
    Soon I will change the P on precision to an EMG

17. According to Fender website it is not. Nowhere it is said that it is "foto finish" so I assume as a real figured maple.