1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

let me introduce myself

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by pfschim, Apr 26, 2006.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Hello Fellow TBer's
    I have been an occasional lurker here for a few years and decided to join after reading VIC's Mesa Boogie Walkabout mega thread. Very cool. I am very impressed with the quality of the dialog on this forum (such a contrast to the handful of computer forums I watch). So many folks offering well thought out ideas and views on the stuff we all love .. bass playing, bass players, bass gear and all that. This really is a great forum, and you all make it so.

As for me, I am seemingly in the same boat as many here. From a totally musical family back several generations. Been playing bass since I was 6 (keys too). My Dad was a jazz bass player in Chicago post-war late 40's and did stuff like the WGN dance broadcasts from the old Aragon Ballroom. So, playing is kinda in my blood.

I'm a former pro player who has done everything from Weddings and Bar Mitzvahs to put food on the table, to what seemed like a million club dates, mid-sized shows (a few large venues too). I also took a run at studio work in the 80's which worked out pretty well. But, in the end I went over to the dark side and got a corporate gig in technology and did very well at that .. I suppose the whole learn the rules, then learn how to break them thing that helped me as a player also gave me some leverage in the biz world. I even helped bring a new bass player (my daughter) and a guitar player (my son, black sheep don't you know) into the world. So , all-in-all a pretty happy story.

Well, 4 years ago I was diagnosed with an advanced cancer and had one of those interesting life review moments. I decided that I while I was pretty happy with my life, the main thing that I was really missing was playing with good folks in a band again. I had pretty much kept up my chops (such as they ever were) and was able to hook up with some great local players doing mostly original jazz and blues oriented material in a guitar/violin/drums/keys/bass line up.

Long story short - I am a happy camper right now to be alive and playing again, and hope to keep enjoying life, my family and friends, music, bass and the Talk bass forum as long as I got breath and a beating heart.

ThatÂ’s my story

LIFE is good, try and remember that every day

Paul