1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Let me know your opinion about this one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wesker, May 9, 2006.

1. Say your band's guitarists tune as follows:c-g-c-f-a-d
    1)how would you tune your 5-stringer and why,
    2)what size and what kind of strings would you use with such a low tension

Cheers fellowbassists

2. I'd find another band.

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'd use standard tuning of BEADG because that's what I'm used to, that's how my basses are set up, and I like knowing where the notes are without thinking too much. I don't think it's necessary/desirable to change tuning just because a guitarist does. The notes are still on your bass!

Marshall

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I agree with both of those guys. NecroticImbecil first, but failing that, smperry is absolutely right.

5. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I''d tune A-D-A-D-A just like I've been for 10 years. Actually, all I'm sayin' is that you want to stic with what feels comfortable for you. My guitarist actually tunes his baritone to A to match MY tuning. (how cool is that?!?!?!) :cool:

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    With guitars that low you might actually cut through really well in standard.

7. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Definitely!!! Going an octave below a guitarist's low-C (or lower) tends to be a breeding ground for mush.

8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Standard works. Just because he tunes that way doesn't mean he'll use the bottom 4 notes in every song. The band I play in stays in either standard or drop D, but 1/2 of what they play in drop D, I can play on my 4 in standard. For the simple fact that the guitars don't play the D or Eb in every song. They can do their power chords and riffs with even more ease, and don't have to keep tuning up and down between songs.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Standard 5-string tuning:
    B E A D G

You want to be able to go low, but you don't want to lose the definition of the notes when you get down there.

10. I'd go with standard tuning, and normal guage strings. I prefer quite heavy ones, but whatever you're most comfortable with.

11. ukfin

ukfin

Jun 28, 2005
    standard tuning

12. Well seeing as how some riffs and bands are more technical than others, I can see how standard tuning would not be possible for some songs.

One of the bands I'm in is in dropped B and standard C#. I use a six string tuned normally and have a four string tuned down to C# for songs in standard.

In your case, I'd tune the strings up. I'd get a standard five string with lighter gauges, I haven't researched the gauges though. Sorry.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    +1 on standard tuning. There's not much point to tuning completely different because your guitarist has done so. Using a different tuning on guitar generally has more advantages than on bass. Since it would allow different chords that might not be possible. This can also be true for bass allowing things that might not be possible in standard tuning. But if your just using your bass in the typical role a different tuning will only screw up any scales patterns or chords and arpegios you've already learned. A low B should be well able to go low enough to keep things heavy without having to tune funny. Plus if you stay tuned the way you are you don't have to worry about the strings

14. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I'd crack him over the head with a 2X4 and find a new guitarist.

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Another thing to consider:
    if the guitarist(s) is tuning down, then he's going to be getting a dark bassy sound. You'll cut through better in standard tuning with more definition to your notes than if you were to tune down.

16. BEADG or EADGC - Piccolo

You are the lead bass player, arent you?

:bag:

Peace,
    S

17. First of all thank all of you for your opinions.NecroticImpecil how about you asked us how to make your life better and we answered that you'd better get another one.
    So i have already considered standard tuning but there is something more to consider.There are guitar riffs that sound better with a nice bass lick but there are other riffs that sound better if the bass sticks with the guitar.For example say the guitarist plays a riff on the c and g string and i have to follow the same riff in standard tuning.I believe that is the reason the standard tuning is hard to be accomplished.Finally it's all about the music not what bass players should play like.

18. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    I'd go A-D-G-C-F

I played with a guy who tuned D-A-D-G-B-E and I found B-E-A-D-G to be a comfortable tuning, leaving me options above and below the guitarists root note. I'm guessing the guy likes to chug low riffs so you'll be hovering around the low C a lot but it'd be handy to have similar tuning on the higher strings. Low C isn't that low really, so you and your audience sould be able to hear you an octave lower than the guitar. Bands like Meshuggah who tune even lower (down to low F# I believe) have the bass at the same octave as the guitar and, in that, case, what's the point. Just pay attention to your mids and make sure you have at least one 15" cab to hand and let it rip.

19. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    Do what I'm going to do when I get my 5er.

CEADG

That way you've got the open C to ring out/copy the guitars heavier riffs. Plus the rest stays in standard and you don't need heavy strings. C won't put much stress on your bass if you adjust the truss rod acordingly.

20. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Of course it's about the music. :rolleyes: It don't get why it would be any harder to play the same riff in standard tuning on bass. Yeah, it would be a different shape, but it would be the same notes. :confused: You asked what others would do, but do whatever works for you I guess.

Marshall