1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

let me tell you about '75 RI jazz bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ray man, Apr 9, 2010.

1. I think these are the best pickups Fender makes.
    I had both AERO's and Custom shop 60's pickups, although the both sound like a classic jazz, the 75's are fatter.

The custom shop's sounded realy bright and bottom shy with average output. The mids dissapeared through my sansamp RBI no matter what knob I turned.

The Aero's sound exactly the same only slightly rounder, just slightly. There description of the Aero's says "Heavy lows, distinct upper mids, and round top that's cool for fingerstyle rock, blues, and country. (And '70s-style funk.) Broken-in vibe that's fun to play. On tape, pickups have big bottom for a J, although the tone can get a bit thick."

I feel this statement much more accuratley describes the 75's. They still have a classic tone, you just don't have to dig in so hard to hit that warm spot.
    :)

madjazzbass likes this.
  2. I bought a used 75RI MIJ. The P/U's were good sounding but I like to experiment. I first replaced them with a set of Dimarzio Model J's and then added a J-Retro. I love the neck on this bass so it's my number 1. I too have a rbi and the combination of all rocks. Suits my tastes very well.

3. Iv'e heard about those Dimarzio's, in fact the factory is hear in Staten Island.
    I just had a feeling about the '75's. They sound just as 'vintage' as the custom shop or the Aero's, just fuller with more furry mids, bigger bottom and they don't have those flat upper mid's with that overly bright top.

madjazzbass likes this.
  4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Old post/thread I know but, Are these pickups (75RI's) still available anywhere? I would LOVE to get a set, They sound like just what I'm looking for, Thanks.

5. I second the poster with the Di Marzio Model J s and the East Retro J pre . I have that combo in a MIM Fretless and it's probably my best sounding bass.