Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let see basses with colored strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan bailey, May 13, 2003.

1. I know this may belong in the Strings forum, but I am interested in what basses look like with colored strings, other than standard metal color. Also if there are any pics, please tell me how the bass plays, sounds, etc.

If this does belong in the Strings forum, please move it.:cool:

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    What????? colored strings????:confused:
    is metal a color??:D

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    The only color I have seen strings are "metal" colored, thats the silver, and the phosphor bronze color, and then black tapewound. I heard somewhere, maybe a past thread or something, where someone played a bass with blue colored strings......but other than that, I have heard of nothing.

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    For any of you old timers...Do you remeber Ernie Ball red plastic coated strings back in the 70's?

I do!:(

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    A few years ago there was someone in the Nashville area putting out colored strings. I had a white PRS geetar with white strings from him...looked great, especially on the ebony board, but IIRC, the strings were pretty dull sounding. I'll look at work tomorrow to see if I can find a pic or two of it.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My dad has a few sets like that around here somewhere. What did those sound like? I'm afraid to put any strings on my bass that are older than I am!

7. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    haha thats great i would be to

8. Rotosound Spacers were different colours.

9. Does gold count?

10. What about black?

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    D'Addario used to sell "Reds," which were copper-plated.

Ibanez BTBs until recently (I think) came with "BTB" strings, which were two-toned -- there were two outer wraps of silver and greenish, giving a striped appearance.

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    GHS Infinity Steels are red. I use 'em and love 'em. Looks good too ;)