1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let The Battle Begin! (Compressor edition)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tyohars, May 8, 2019.

1. Boss BC-1X

21.1%
  2. MXR M-76

5.3%
  3. Keeley Bassist

42.1%
  4. TC Electronic Spectracomp

10.5%
  5. Other (give your input on comment)

21.1%
  1. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    So, I'm on the market for compressor pedal. I narrowed the choice between MXR M-76, Keeley Bass Compressor, TC Electronic Spectracomp, and Boss BC-1X. I mostly play with fingers, but use pick occasionally. Lemme hear your input, especially from people who already had an experience with those. Oh, the thing is, I already tried them, but I can't compare it next to each other, because no place sold them at the same place. I already have a preference, but still need an input. Thank you!

2. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    What do you want the compressor to do for you? eg peak limiting, more 'punch' or 'fatness', general evening out etc. That will help people give useful opinions, as different pedals may be more or less suitable for each of these things. For example, I love the Diamond Compressor, but if you're after peak limiting it will be a complete disappointment :)

BrentSimons and eriky4003 like this.
  3. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    What he said. It depends on what you want compression for. I use a Diamond with just a bit of compression to even things out and compensate for my sometimes sloppy right hand technique. It's an always on, set it and forget it, kind of pedal. Not really and effect, more of an enhancement. If you play more slap/funk, you might need a comp with more attack/decay adjustment capabilities.
    Good luck with your search, B.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    I've been using a Markbass Tube Compressore for over a year now, and I can recommend it highly. It's very flexible in the type of the compression you're looking for, and the tube sort of helps to smooth everything out. It's a little hard to integrate into a pedal board, because it needs to use it's own higher current (600 mA) 12V power supply, but that never stopped anyone. I'd try to find one in a store and mess with it, because I still remain impressed by mine.

I mostly play finger style, which I got this compressor really tuned in for, but on a few occasions when playing slap, I just adjusted the attack and release a little bit to get a nice balance between slappy-ness, and sustain, and I can tell you it does both finger style and slap well. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it could be honed in for nice balanced picking sound as well. It has a bit more adjustment than some other compressors, but with enough playtime, it's pretty easy to learn and know what it's capable of.

5. I won't vote not having compared. I use the MXR M87 which I find transparent (no tone magic) and works well as a compressor or a limiter.
    Based on my reading of this site I've seen a lot of love for Keeley Bassist, Spectracomp & MXR M87. Anecdotally(sp?), I haven't read much on the Boss BC-1X.

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    scubaduba, cosmicevan and Fuzzbass like this.
  7. Out of your choices, I voted Keeley. The MXR is great, but it's a bit noisey. If you went into the next price bracket though you would have some incredible options. IE Origin, FEA, Darkglass etc.

Low Down Brown and Fuzzbass like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021