Let the good times roll

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Low town, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Low town

Low town

Apr 20, 2014
    Hola

Here is an easy one (I think): does anyone know the chords for "Let the good times roll" by BB King?

Cheers

Low town

2. BB King has played this in just about every key there is, but there seem to be two major variants.

The usual arrangement is a groovalicious I-IV-V swinger:

So G for 4 bars, then up to C for 2 bars, back to G for 2 & across to D for 1, C for 1 & G for 2 - rinse & repeat.

There's also another version that's a souped-up swingin' I-IV-V with a 'quick change' to the IV:

That example is in F# (maybe downtuned a semitone from G?). F# (1 bar) , B (1 bar) , F# (2 bars), B (2 bars), F# (2 bars), C# (1 bar), B (1 bar), F# (2 bars).

Those two structures cover the majority of Blues. Try to ignore the tab sites - not because they're wrong, but because they'll lead you astray. It's much better to pick the tune apart with your ears & learn what fits best. For Blues you only really need four scales - Major, Minor & the Maj & Min Pentatonics. Get them down all over the neck (especially the pentatonics) & you're good to go.

Pete.

3. Low town

Low town

Apr 20, 2014

Thanks Pete.

So I assume this is written in a major key? I ask as I trying to reconcile the bass line to the key.

It seems to be more of a minor bass scale, than a major.

Cheers

4. I'll cheerfully admit that I've had to look this up, as I was baffled as to why it needs a major 3rd but a minor 7th.

It's a 7th. G7 = G, B, D, F, G. Stick in a few chromatic walks, mix 'em up a bit & you're done.

That'll do for my 'I learned something new today' :)

P.

5. Low town

Low town

Apr 20, 2014
    Ok - thank you. So, a 7th might make sense in terms of the bass line I have - I never throught of that.

I am trying to get to the bottom of chord / scale theory - I am a novice.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021