1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lethgar's string adventures! 8 new sets in 8 months

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lethgar, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    As a celebration of my new Nordstrand NJ5 I've acquired this spring, I've decided to try an experiment: It won't be seeing any gigging time in the near future, so what strings she wears are somewhat immaterial. I've always been a very loyal Ken Smith/DR Hi Beams user, but for the rest of this year (2015) I'll be putting a completely new to me/different set of strings on her approx. once a month. Nothing I've used for any length of time before. My hands are quite acidic, so a month should give me a good picture of the life of each set from fresh to dead, with daily practice. Short write-ups periodically during their use.

Mvn1j0gl.

First up, it arrived in my hands with a fresh set of Dunlop Super Bright Nickels! All new to me. Man, I love these things, enough that I actually already hate to see them go for my little test. Highlights: Smooth smooth lows and mids. Sizzle when you dig in hard. A truly dynamic string. Feel to me was maybe, 5% less tension than Hi Beams. Very slick under the fingers. Very similar in feel to dead Rotos but plenty of overtones left. Fully a month old now and while they are "dead" there's still sizzle left to be found. String to string tension is fairly even, maybe ever more so than DR's or Roto's. Low B (.125 I'm assuming) is nice and tight. It may sound like I have nothing bad to say, and that's because I don't. Tonally, very much darker than most SS sets I've used, and honestly darker than XLs as well. But I'm not looking at that as a bad thing in this case. Can see these fitting in the mix really well. Plenty of mids.

Next up, and already in the mail from BSO, GHS Pressurewounds! Please feel free to make suggestions! Sets that won't be eligible:
    Roto 66
    Pretty much anything from Ken Smith
    D'ad XL and pro steel
    All DR except Fat Beams
    DM SR-2000s
    Cheers!

jallenbass likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You should have saved the Dunlop SuperBrights for last! You may be in for a few months of huge dissapointments now :)

The Pressurewounds will be a nice contrast, they are the polar opposite of SuperBrights in sound and feel.

You must include Fodera strings in your trials, and maybe GHS Progressives. DR PureBlues as well since they are new.

Lethgar likes this.
  3. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Foderas are going in the list! Progressives look good as well. How would the PureBlues comapre to Sunbeams?

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I haven't tried the PureBlues yet, but from what I gather they are DR's answer to SuperBrights.

Lethgar likes this.
  5. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Ahh I see. Into the contenders pool they go!

6. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    After 3 weeks of limbo, the pressures are here!

First ten minutes with them: Not a fan so far. They feel much, much more rough than my SBNs, believe it or not. I'm sure they will break in a good amount but I'm not convinced they will ever be that smooth in feel or even tone, ironically. They are about as bright as a new set of XL nickels, with less high end sizzle, and quite a bit more tension than SBNs or Hi Beams. I'm going to attribute some of that to gauge difference. I ordered the 44-106 with a 128 low B set, assuming that would be the closest, but it's since been relieved in the SBN thread that the dunlop sets are more like 43-102, so these are quite a bit thicker to begin with. Overall, I like the tone but the feel has me wanting them off already.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd keep the Super Brights on it myself ;) but it sounds like a fun experiment.

Lethgar likes this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Try DR Jonas Hellborgs. Probably the most unique bass string out there. You'll either love them or hate them.

9. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I'm actually quite interested in them, but they only seem to come in 4 string sets. My have to throw some on the Jazz this summer.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    True. I didn't notice your bass is a 5 string. They're......interesting strings. Hard to describe till you play them and there are no good clips online.

Lethgar likes this.
  11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR Hellborgs are very weird sounding strings indeed! For lack of a better description, they remind me of a hairless cat if that makes any sense at all!

Lethgar likes this.
  12. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Now have HAVE to know :roflmao:

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The audio quality isn't very good in this video. They basically sound like dead rounds here but they really are livelier than this guy is making them sound.

14. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    That actually sounds great to me. Tons of fundamental.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's apparently the point. All fundamental and little if any overtones. And they feel unique. One single thick wrap of pure nickel. There's nothing else like them.

Lethgar likes this.
  16. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Into the BSO wishlist they go!

17. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dang those don't sound or look anything like the Hellborgs I had. The ones I had were single wrap so there was no real high end and no overtones. Also since they were single wrap, the part that goes around the tuners are just bare core. There's no taper, just wound and then...nothing but core!

Lethgar likes this.
  18. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Whoa!

19. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    drhell1.JPG You can see the core clearly on the A string here:

20. If you've got string killing sweat, maybe elixirs could help get you more mileage. I'm happy with the performance of the steel nano webs I've tried.