1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lets be practical here folks: Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm probably going to sell my Sunn Sonic I (due to Wattage issues... you probably read about this...) and buy this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=481090

Now I did a search, threads about this amp turned into quite a bit of heated jibberish, but at this point, I'm looking for three things from a head:

- Cheap
    - Clean
    - Powerful

It's 450 Watts for 250 bucks, which is roughly what I'll get for the Sonic I on Ebay. (I'd sell it on Talkbass, but I don't trust half you jokers... ;) ).

Another thing to note: I don't crave Victor Wooten's tone at all. All I want is something that has good low/low mid response... I mean, my last amp was a Crate... I can't expect too much. :meh:

There will come a day that I own a nice amp... it's not too soon. Without the "Behringer is crap, buy an Ampeg" attitude: Is this an OK choice (not great... OK). Can I do better for around the same price, or is this OK? (Not used... brand new, I'm not getting into that mess)

Thank you.

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've known too many people who have had reliability issues with Behringer stuff. I can think of two here locally off the top of my head that had the 300 watt version of that head fizzle out of them. I'm sure many people have had them and they've worked like champs for them. I just think that they are a little too risky to throw any money at.

just my $.02

3. If you're not willing to go used....I think you'll have a hard time finding a comparable amp.

Mike

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    B has the distinction of being close to the cheapest, but if you give or take 100 bucks, the options open up. Reliability aside, there are other merits worth considering such as size, weight, and wooliness. And even if you choose the B, weighing your options at least confirms that you made the right choice.

*cough* GK Backline 600 head *cough*

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Look used. My band has had reliability issues with guitar amps and will never buy the B again, plus they wern't too great sonically anyway. The power and tone is OK IF you get a good one that doesn't crap out. And if you get one that does, good luck dealing with their customer service :rolleyes: .

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Get the Sunn fixed. You like the way it sounds, and they're getting more expensive every day. Sunn made some of the best bass amps ever made, and you want to dump it for a Behrringer?? Kind of like dumping a Mercedes that needs a tune up to buy a Yugo. Find a good Amp Tech to get the Sunn to where it should be.

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    No matter what the B bashers here tell you. I had the 300 watt version, never had a lick of trouble, and sounded real nice. No reason not to buy one that I see. If it gets you out , and playing, and enjoying it, why not? If you never tried on, that ultrabass feature is kinda hokey, but for regular good sound that you can dial in, I think they sound great for the buck. Buy One

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    +1. From what you describe on the Sunn amp thread, I'd say a retubing or combing over is in order. You spend a few dollars on new tubes and maybe find that your head is wonderful. I sold a mid 70's Bassman 70 in my mispent youth, and have regretted it ever since. DON'T DO IT!

Bottom line, if you like the way your Sunn sounds when it's not distorting, you're not going to be happy with a Behringer head, never mind the wattage. I see pain, regret, and lots of unfulfilling knob twiddling in your future if you procede as planned.
    Trust me on this, I've been in the exact same situation as you, and wish I'd known enough to just take the amp to a repair tech, or just bought new tubes.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    My 300 watt B head has done a good job.

My advice when people buy B is - burn it in well. Push it hard when you first get it, so that if it cooks, it cooks inside the return time. If it doesn't cook in that time, more than likely you have an amp for a long haul.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get the Sunn fixed. You'll regret selling it. I regret selling my Bassman 135, I DEFINATELY will not make the same mistake with either of my Sunns.

12. Let's be Practical?!?!? HERE?! You poor confused critter. You're on the wrong forum.

13. Do what you want but I would either fix the SUNN, look into an Ashdown MAG 300 or if you want something that will last and be repairable think about a Peavey.

Peace,
    S

14. I definately agree with "The Suzie"

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    To address the Sunn issue: I love the way it sounds, BUT once you push the volume past three it distorts, tube drive stuff... it sounds GREAT it's ultra heavy sounding... but there is no turning it off. If I was in a band that never had a clean sound and wanted a SWEET overdrive sound constantly, it'd be the way to go, but there are a few times that my band has clean breaks.

You're right, I'm going to regret selling it! I already regret it and it hasn't even hit Ebay yet!! But I neeed to, I need a new amp, and when I get the cash, I actually want to buy a colleseum head... or two. ;) I'll keep an eye out when I'm rich.

NOW, in regards to used:
    - I don't want to buy off Ebay
    - The Local music store is garbage, they know nothing and sell nothing.

I might drive down to Pittsburgh with my guitarist (he wanted to look at guitars anyway) and see what they've got.

16. Sounds like a bad preamp tube or you need a lower gain preamp tubes. Try replacing one or more 12ax7 tubes with 12au7.

http://groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2043

Of course it could be a bunch of other problems too but if the amp were otherwise healthy but still not clean enough, this is what I would try.

Peace,
    S

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks Suzie, I'm trying to figure this out...

... Solid state does have it's advantages.............

18. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I am a SS guy myself, but it sounds like you ought to pick the brains of some tube'ers to see if there are any other tubes you can pop in there to get you some more clean headroom.

19. I just read the other thread. Looks like savit260 beat me to this idea wrt the preamp tubes.

I used to work at the counter of a TV place back in the days when almost everything was tubes. These days it is hard to find ppl who actually know how to fix this stuff.

Best of luck, Matt
    S

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you like a SS sound thats great, but if you like the clean sound you do get with your head its probabally better to try to get that amp fixed up than to resort to the B.