1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lets build a rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Feb 23, 2013.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    day dreaming after surgery I started thinking of amp setups that might work well.

Heres my thoughts :
    GK mb 212 combo with a Hartke vx210 or Hartke 210xl extension

Thinking the 2x12 would give a decent low mid growl while the 2x10 would make for a solid high mid punch.

Price used should come to around 600$

Let me hear some of your setup ideas or dream rigs.

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Here we go again..

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Haha… not me, I just can’t do it anymore.

4. Mind boggling

5. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    aww guys can't we be good sports and discuss gear?

6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    If you don't do at least a little bit of homework, the snarky responses are pretty common around here.

The GK MB212 combo has a 4Ω head combined with a 4Ω cab, cannot accept any extension cabs.

A 2x10 or a 2x12 or any other diameter/configuration box will not have tonal attributes {low mid growl, solid high mid punch, etc etc etc), based only on speaker diameter, to suggest otherwise tends to make the locals very cranky.

"Build a rig" is a term that sets me off. Different things drive people crazy in different ways, I suppose.

I'm gonna go plug my bass into my old beat up peavey and play some Darryl Jones stuff

7. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Sure let's discuss...

There's pretty much no point mixing 10s and 12s. They aren't different enough that the positive differences make the potential negative differences worthwhile.

Makes a lot more sense if you want different sized drivers to skip at least one size between them. So 10s and 15s, 12s and 8s, etc...

But you have to somehow account for the variation in loudness, frequency response, and power handling between the different sizes, so you need to either roughly match them up by displacement (ie 2x10 and 1x15, 2x12 and 3x10, 1x18 and 4x10, etc...), impedence (4ohm 15 and 8ohm 10), or use a crossover to separate out different frequencies into appropriate amounts of power and bandwidth for the drivers they are going to.

Regarding "punch", any decent modern 15 will have more than enough "punch" for most people. In fact, a lot of the "punch" of a system depends on the power of the amp (which affects transient response, distortion, etc...), the EQ settings, and then just having speakers that can handle what you give them (and more). Considering 15s tend to take about as much power as 2 10s and usually slightly more sensitive at the same time, with 2 15s you should be able to get the same volume out of less wattage than a 4x10, giving you more amp headroom. 15s also typically have higher xmax, so they tend to have more low end anyway, which also contributes to "punch".

In your case, if you already have the GK combo, you should just get a matching GK 2x12 to go with it. If you already have the Hartke stuff, just get the matching 2x10 cab, or you could go with the matching 1x15.

8. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Nope… not gonna get sucked in… no no no.

9. I'm a believer-just paired up a NY 151 with my Jeff Berlin combo and I'm thrilled with the results. 2 15s, 500 watts, oh yeah baby.

10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    i'll play.

with that 600 bucks.

used fearful from the classifieds. combine with any decent head.
    done.

11. Not a fan of the whole combo with extension cabinet deal or using different size drivers. As posted earlier tone isn't about size or the amount the drivers. Adding an extension cab to any combo will result in loss of headroom and the amp running hotter. I would recommend a sealed non ported cab they are rare but they are out there and a head or pre amp power amp type rig. An xlr line out is IMO the only way to get a full range of a bass tone to a PA or studio board. The nice thing about non ported cabs is they have a lot of midrange so you can hear what your playing but they aren't so boomy your bandmates are always asking you to turn down. So in a way it creates an illusion of being loud to you but not your bandmates. The line out signal will still have all the low end. Non ported cabs range from the 300 dollar ampeg 210av to the $900 swr marcus miller golight and the big $1000 ampeg svt810. You can still hear that low end a ported cab would put out from the PA subs going to a ported cab just makes things a lot less muddy.

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...yep...lol...

13. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Right now I'm running a 1x15 combo and I hate the f***ing thing. I cut the 100hz graphic slide and the low end shelving and still get nothing but boom when I raise the volume/gain past noon. I was thinking smaller speaker size would help fix that.

Hmmm... thought I read that the mb212 could take an extension cab.

14. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

What is the combo your running now?

If its a "cheapo" combo.. that shouldnt ruin your whole outlook on 15s altogether. Ive heard it a million times, if I've heard it once.
    Same for any size speaker I reckon.

Just my .02

15. Cut the lows, but boost at 100 hz.

AFAIK the MB 212 can not take an extension cab.

16. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    @ bassdirty

Its a Peavey tnt 115s. Cost 160+ shipping used from gc.

17. The old model TNT's sound like mud no matter what. Indestructible, loud, and sit well in a mix, but mud nontheless. The new TNT is a different beast altogether-in a good way. Big, loud, and has tons of tone-shaping options. Overall sound is similar to a Hartke, but with a bit deeper low end. GK MB 115 is very clean and punchy as well.

18. OscarJr

OscarJr Kneel before Zod! Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Laredo, Tx
    Sure, lets build a rig...I got what you need :ninja:

100_0905.

That's just what fits on the shelves. :D