1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Let's discuss a different MUSE tone!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Apr 17, 2009.

1. So I just found a MUSE b-side that decidedly isn't your typical Chris Sovtek Big Muff/Deep Impact tone, and I'm highly curious about it. Anyone want to take a shot?

And yes, I'm familiar with his gear page, but this doesn't really sound like a tone that any of those pedals (or any combination of said pedals) would produce.

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    sounds like synthy fuzz to me :bag:

3. Yeah, I agree, but it also doesn't sound like a sound that I'm used to hearing from him.

Of course, it could be that it is that very combination of pedals, and I'm just insufferably stupid. :p

4. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I will be the first to say it: I'm a Muse fanboy so I'll let ya know when I get out of this lab :)

5. It seems like all MUSE b sides have the best bass tracks. Like: Eternally missed, Jimmy Kane, The groove (one of my favorites), Dead Star, In your World, Nishe, Futruism (AWESOME bassline), Man Of mystery, crying shame, Fury. I HIGHLY recommend you check these out.

6. Allow me to pile on with your thread. I always wanted to know this one: is Plug In Baby just the deep impact? Doesn't sound like it has a fuzz on it, just straight synth. Or maybe I'm nuts.

7. I Play PIB with fuzz and slight octave, it sounds great!

8. I've actually performed the Groove, Futurism and Dead Star live, and I know about even the most obscure of their tracks. This one, however, is new to me, as I didn't see most of the b-sides from BH&R, so I was pleasantly surprised when I heard this.

So, is the general consensus that I'm an idiot who wants to believe that Chris doesn't use the same setup of pedals constantly, or that he's actually using something different?

9. Except that there is a quite obvious resonant filter sweep going on there, too. That's what makes me think DI

10. Nice! How amazing is The groove? Did you get the Newton Abbot Demo? Also, some clips of muse in a battle of the bands from 1994 just surfaced on youtube, it's hilarious!
    As for The OP, sounds like fuzz to me.

11. You know, I think you may be right. I know he was experimenting quite a bit with his FM4 back in that day, it's possible that he used a patch from that and his Akai, but a lot of things are possible with him.

12. Just sounds like a clean blended Russian Muff to me. With the benefits of tight playing and the studio to clean it up.

13. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'd love to know what he was using in City of Delusion. Awesome sounding fuzz and then there's this formant filter tone to it.

14. He used both his FM4 and BSW during verse 2/break for that song, with an expression pedal on the FM4.

15. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Im still trying to figure out the normal Chris tone, but this just adds to much pressure! :atoz:

16. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    i haven't heard this one... when i saw "muse b-side" i thought i was 'glorious'

but i'm sure the muse experts here have heard that one ;)

i don't believe chris plays a clean blended muff. instead he stacks 2 russian muffs, and always has

17. Good to see some other muse fans here. Love easily great to see other people discovering it.
    I'd say it'd help it being in the studio, he might have used something in the studio in combination with his stuff. If anyone finds out share it round.
    Here's a pretty good bass cover with a pretty accurate tone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEvZ1IZnBbw]/url] he has a GT-6B and a big muff russian.

18. Mind enlightening me as to where you heard that?

I ask only because stacking two muffs sounds like mush.

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I don't think he does use 2 muffs normally, but there was a video on Youtube filming the making of Absolution where he looks at the camera in disbelief and says "2 Big Muffs!".

20. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Sounds like a Muff and a phaser to me.