Let's hear about all those "got it for a song" bass stories!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Franklin229, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Anyone have an "I can't believe this deal"/"pinch me, I'm in a dream" purchasing stories out there?

About 6 years ago I stumbled into a local pawn shop, just browsing around like I usually do and low and behold-a '78 Stingray hangs on the wall, in nice condition. I ask "how much?", the guy goes "eh I'll take $125.00 for it." I nearly %@#* my pants!!! I ran to an ATM, went back and snatched it up. Still have it, still play it-probably one of my best "fish tales".
  2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Dang. I haven't really come close to that, but I nabbed my old Blue Sparkle Stingray with Rosewood board/matching headstock for $600. I also haggled Guitar Center down to $546 out the door on an Onyx Black Sterling. I now realize the folly of selling it.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There will be many that beat this, but this is the best deal I have gotten.

Brand new Hamer CH12 12 string, $299 at a GC closeout. They normally go for $700.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Traded a korean Spector for an American Fneder Jazz DLX. Great deal.

If you want to include amps, I have gotten a Hartke 410XL for 160 bucks shipped.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I bought a Cort B2A Headless "Steinberger" copy from a co-worker who's mom bought it for him as a kid. He never found much interest in playing any instrument so it sat in his closet for 15 years. When he started working for me and I told him I was a musician as well, he told me he had this 'guitar' and would I want it! I said, bring it in. I saw it (in my head I said holy sh**) and offered him $75 for it! He took it! He had no knowledge of the instrument's worth anyway. I know it ain't a real Steiny but it's still a good instrument and it was worth way more than I paid him for it!
  6. Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    I know I mentioned it in a couple of other threads, but my Yamaha RBX6 JM I found hear in Germany about 2 years ago for 380 euros.(at the time the exchange rate was about 1 to 1.) Last year I found a Westone Pantera 5string for about 210 euros. And 2 Hughs & Kettner cabs, (4X10 and 1X15 for 500 for the pair.
  7. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I got a mint condition 67 Fender Jazz from this elderly widow who had kept it under her husband's bed after he died many years ago. I sang "Bicycle Built for Two" and she gave it to me.

I hate these threads. I have maybe saved a couple of hundred bucks on a purchase. But that's it.
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Warwick thumb NT with ebony fretboard for 1400 ;)
  9. one of stuart hamms fender custom shop kubicki ex-factor...rare as rocking horse balls to see a kubicki down here full stop....$2000aus
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, for what it is, getting my G&L SB-1 w/ an HSC, shipped, for $425 is a steal and a half. Between it being hand made, and sporting the exact features I'd put on a dream 4 banger, I'd say I came out a winnah on that one.
  11. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i got my warwick neck thru 4 with wenge fingerboard from GC at $1000 closeout. :D
  12. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    A few months before I started playing bass, my dad bought a '72 P-bass from a pawn shop for $200.

He kept it for a while, but since he plays guitar and not bass he sold it for something like $1400... two weeks before I decided to play.
  13. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    oooo just missed out. that really sucks dude.
  14. drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    I have the distinct advantage of living on an island with a finite resource of instruments.
    I just recently decided to corner the used equipment market by opening a used music gear store. We have two music stores here that only sell new. I specialize in used and am want to buy outright or trade to get the sweet deals.
    Since we are sucking economically here lately, I have been scoring some bargins. It also helps that the local population seems to like new and shiny opposed to old and dusty.

I just traded a fender 12 str. acoustic/elect and a chinese strat for a 1968 fender precision. All thats missing is the pickguard.
    I gave a guy a yamaha starter bass for his 'broken' fender bass that he was trying to sell me. It was a Stu Hamm Urge and it had a battery in it that had died 5 years ago. A little cleaning and it goes in the vault.
    I actually had a guy walk in and give me *GIVE ME*a 1963 Precision body complete but minus the neck. This project is one I am working on now. *need a '63 neck*
    I gave a guy a $100 for a fender precision plus bass he had grabbed from a deadbeat tenant before he fled to the Philippines.

As you can see..........I am in virtual heaven here. I am still waiting for a 'junky old rick' as the kid put it, that his uncle gave him. I asked him the year and he said 'Umm. its old like 1963, I don't like it. I like guitars" I could hardly keep from laughing my evil laugh "BBBRRRRAAAHHHHHAAAAAHHHhhhhh"

Gee, now I feel dirty. *crawls to the corner and hugs all his basses who are his only friends"
  15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have two that I can report:

Ken Smith CRV-Pro 5 string w/ Bubinga facings in dead mint condition for a buy it now price of $1200.

Benavente Vortex 5 w/ a Buckeye Burl top and Abolone blocks in excellent codition for $1200.

As you can see, there is something magical about me and the $1200 price point.
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Brand NEW MIM Precision + EMG Pickup + Tweed Hardshell case for $200 shipped.
  17. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've mentioned this story a few times here at TB, but the last time was probably a year or two ago. I found my '77 in a basement in Champaign, IL when I was an undergrad. I went to a jam with my guitar playing buddy who lived on my floor, walked down in the basement, and saw an old bass case on the floor near a corner of the room. Went over to check it out and there was this ash/maple/MOP blocks jazz looking up at me, in its original hardshell case! :eek:

I really wasn't interested in the bass as something to play, didn't want to spend much on it, and had no idea of knowing what kind of condition if was in, despite the fact that it was in incredible condition. I told the guy I'd give him $200 for it, he said $300, and I walked outta' that house with an all-original '77 Fender jazz for $250! ;) That's the best story I have...it was one of those "one-in-a-million" scenarios that usually only happen to "other people". :D
  18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    In the late 90's I bought a new Alembic Europa 4 from a local music store for $1499.00. It has a figured Koa top and LED side-markers. The store had the bass on display for about 4 years. They kept dropping the price because there wasn't much interest in it. I took the bass with me when I visited the Alembic shop for a tour. Susan Wickersham told me it cost more to build the bass than what I paid for it. :)
  19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Mine's an Alembic story too. When I was first learning to slap, I took some lessons from this guy that was an Alembic rep. Not sure exactly what his role was, but they used to make him a couple of basses every year. He had a whole garage full of 'em, and they were all beautiful one-of-a-kind instruments. So one day he comes into the shop with a gorgeous bass, and he says, "I gotta sell this, they're about to repossess my truck." I'm looking at this bass thinking "wow, never seen anything like this before", it was a five string with an oversize body and extra wide string spacing, series II electronics, and little lights up and down the neck. I'm definitely a connoiseur of fine basses, and at first glance I was thinking five grand? Maybe six? There was no way I was going to afford something like that, at that particular point in time. But just for laughs, I said, "how much do you want for it?" And he says, "first person that comes up with 1500 cash can have it".

But wait, it gets better. So I rush over to the bank, and empty out all my accounts. Then I go home, and recover the emergency stash. After all that, I had less than a grand. I was really bummed. So I go back to the shop to arrange the next lesson, and he says "do you still want that bass?" I say, "yeah, but I just emptied all my accounts, and the most I could come up with is 976 dollars in cash, it's all the money I have in the world". He thinks about it for a couple of seconds, then he says, "Well, I need the truck more than I need the bass. It's yours if you want it." I promptly forked over the cash, and the rest is history.

So I got this amazing instrument for less than a grand. I still have it, it's my favorite studio bass of all time. Sounds like no other, I couldn't find another bass with a sound like that in a million years, not even another Alembic. So now here's a sidebar. When I got it, he didn't have a case for it, so I put it in a Reunion Blues cordura gig bag. The bass is so huge I couldn't close the thing, so the top was sticking up out of the bag. The bass has an omega cut on the bottom, and when I was taking it home, I was very careful to place the gig bag over a piece of foam on the floor in front of the passenger seat (since there were already a couple of speaker cabs in the back seat). On the way home, I hit a pothole and broke one of the fins on the omega cut. Massive bummer. So I took it over to John Carruthers (he's one of the few people in town I trust to work on my high end basses), hoping and praying that he could at least reattach it. He did, and not only that, he did such a great job that it's impossible to tell it was ever damaged. The story goes on, but that's enough for now. :)
  20. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    When I was 16 I bought an Alembic Distillate for $350. I'm from a very small town and I saw an ad in the paper for an Olympic bass guitar and had to check it out thinking that it was probably a misprint. The ad asked for $1200 and I didn't have that kind of money but I had never seen an Alembic in person so I just went to play it. The bass had a mahogany body with cocobola top in like new condition. The seller was also in need of a bass player for his band, he was a keyboardist, and asked if I would be interested. I told him all I had was $350 and he said if I played in his band he would let me have it at that price.

And a month ago I bought a 73 Jazz bass in mint condition for $700. It had the transparent walnut stain finish with maple board and pearl block inlays.