Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's hear it for reading the manual!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Jan 23, 2003.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd share my new found knowledge of how "smart" I am... in my hurry to try out my SVT-4PRO when I got it, I didn't really read the manual very well, I just mainly looked over the stuff that I had never seen on my other amps. In doing so I completely missed the fact that my Bass, Mid, and Treble controls are Cut/Boost... not just boost. For the past couple months I've just assumed that all of the controls just boosted the frequency and I found out today that when the knobs are at 12 o'clock the EQ is flat. So I've had some of my sound heavily cut when I thought I was boosting it. This makes me feel really intelligent.

Yes, there is more. In my further reading I realized (even though I've read it about 10 time before), that the Limit LED controlled by the limiter circuit keeps my amp from clipping, hence keeping my tone clean. I am thinking (not sure though) that this is why I don't get an overdriven/distorted sound at all, which I have been trying to get. So I guess I'll try turning off the limiter circuit and being more careful with my volume (even though the Limit LED rarely comes on as is.) Is it a really bad idea to turn off the limiting circuit?

So anyway, I just thought I would share what I learned today with this little tid bit of sometimes overlooked common sense: if it has an owner's manual... you might want to read it.
    :D

--Justin

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    The RTFM rule is good rule to follow!

When I bought my Yorkville amp, the first thing I did was to go online and hunt down a manual.
    I also did the same thing when I bought my Trace Elliot last week.

3. I gots one of these:

[​IMG]

reading the manual was ESSENTIAL to operating it. I ve since memorized it, nearly completely. The manual gives many, many points that are unique to this amp - which leads me to think that this is why so many people have trouble with finding the tone. Its a bit goofy.

4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Ah yes, the infamous M-2000! That one has a looong manual. Definitely worth the read though. They even include blank amp-face illustrations so you can write in a bunch of your favorite settings (or any settings that you find that sound halfway decent:D )

5. I read the manuals cover to cover that i even consider looking at. i.e. the 400RB-III (which I took back, if you really want to know why, just ask) that i got, i downloaded the manual before i even went to guitar center to check their price (which, might i add, is $70 cheaper there!)

6. I was forced to read my manual because when I brought my m-pulse home I did'nt have a cab to play thru(they're at our rehersal room)until I got to practice that night, and the anticipation was killing me..so I read the manual...over and over and over...forward...backward..upsidedown.(you get the picture) not that I needed to,but I'm glad I did...it certainly did'nt hurt...the m2000,OTOH.. I definatly would have read,a person could go numb with all those options.....anyway,enough about me,how you doin?

7. oooooooo, mines got a manual to! :)

joking.

my ampeg one is downloaded, i hate it wen they don't give a manual with something and say u have to download it, minces me riiiight up! :eek:

*Si*

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Gotta love the internet. After I bought my Rane DC-24 split-band compressor used, I downloaded the manual and a couple of information PDFs from the company site and whammo, I was getting the most from my gear.

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmm my Peavey came with last year's manual (they updated everythign for the new line if you didn't notice). Anyway, the manual doesn't even addres some aspects fo the amp, and the pics are wrong. I go to the website to download the new manual and its the same old junk, go figure! I think I have it figured out, but on thing I'm not sure of is the "brightness" switch Peavey is putting on their combo amps now. As far as I can tell its just good for realy trebley songs and slap, otherwise I leave it off..hmm.:confused:
    Oh, and Nice Avatar Si-bob, too bad your going for the wrong side!!;)

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't feel too bad about it, Stingray. Most, if not all lower-end amps we've experienced were "plug-in n' play." Then when we get some nicer gear, like yours, we find out it's - not.

I don't know how many new owners of Carvin R Series heads unknowingly put the amps into "Self Protect" mode because they didn't read the manual first.

Even then, all manuals for upper-end gear aren't that great. I recently bought an Aguilar preamp and the "manual" is pretty sad, considering the price.

11. Yes, but as any Software Engineer will tell you, Reading The Manual (or Destructions) is a true sign of weakness, and feeble-mindedness - just remember that Real Men Don't Read Manuals!

;)

- Wil

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Put the manuals down for a sec guys - Can I address the distortion issue. I wouldn't turn the limiter off. I'm guessing that the type of distortion Ampeg are trying to prevent is the kind that frys speakers (clipping). I've never used Ampeg but I always assumed the classic "overdrive" sound was rather mild and that heavy overdrive would need a seperate effects unit.