Let's hear it for Southern California

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lowtones, Jan 13, 2001.

1. I just wanted to know how many bassists here are from Southern California, mainly Orange County.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I just want to know where you California guys are going to get the juice for your amps next week? ;)
  3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    how odd...i live in Orange, off Chapman.

4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm living in New York now but I am from Ventura. I miss it, man. I'm ready to move back any time. Got a room for rent?
  5. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    From N. San Diego County, but spent '81-87 up that way, living in Long Beach (almost Orange Co.), Westminster (I was desperate), and one glorious year in Newport Beach, in a townhouse on 46th St., 100 yards from the sand, with two female roommates. :D Still worked in Newport for a coupla years after that, but commuted from down south.

Sigh. Seems like a million years ago now...
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Raised in Norwalk, but worked at a hospital on Beach Blvd. for years. Now live in the AZ mountains. Couldn't live in the city again.
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

i have the space but don't think my wife would go for it.

rents here in orange county have gotten COMPLETELY OUTRAGEOUS!!!

a studio apartment in a ****ty area goes for $700/month. 3 bedroom apartments in a nice area are topping off at $2000/mo!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm friggin glad i bought my house new 4 years ago. paid 242,900...refinanced twice and got the P&I down to 1400/mo...pretty good considering its valued at $400,000 now. not sure how long this can go on...if i sold, i'd be better off taking my california money elsewhere.

i suppose its worse in other areas, though, like PALO ALTO.

8. :D
  9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000

Thanks but I don't think I wanna pay those prices either.

I live within 60 miles of Buffalo. Me and the boss woman bought a 3 bedroom house, 2 bath and 1 car garage for the whopping sum of $43,900. Our mortgage is $500 a month and it isn't in the ghetto. A comparable house in 1000 Oaks, where my parents currently live, would be at least $300,000. Cali real estate has gotten totally out of hand. I can't believe people aren't moving out in droves to escape it.

I think I hang here for a while and deal with the foul weather and lousy ass "Mexican" food. Maybe I'll be able to afford a few more basses. :)

Thanks anyway!
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'll be out in orange county next week for the namm show.

i like annaheim. :D
  11. a few years back (i was about 10 or so) i went down that way. i loved that place. i think one day ill live in cali. hopefully in that area.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I worked for a company HQ'd in Costa Mesa so I used to get out there on a regular basis. Pretty nice, static weather. Hung out at LABX, tried to hook up with Pete Hanenwinckel but couldn't. Worked for a company in Seattle before that...pretty static weather there, too.

I remember how nice the roads were (compared to back East) and how clean the cars were. That was annoying, as an owner of a Black car that stays clean for approx. 4.5 minutes after I wash it;)
  13. Hmmmmmmmmmm...........That explains all the tremors and earthquakes and the power outages.Maybe there should be a seperate grid for musicians.God knows your taxes,heck,the cost of living is sky high.I used to live in San Diego...I sure miss it.
  14. I live in the Inland Empire area of California about 30 miles from Palm Springs. Lot of musical action here for us old timers. Just started in my second rehearsal band this monday. This one cooks and has lots of good charts and some arrangers in the band. Oh yea I used to work for Storer Cable in Anaheim some years ago. That was when I was a electronic technician now I retired I'm a musician again.
  15. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I'm here in Bakersfield. Home of Buck Owens and although they hate to admit it, two or three members of KORN. And it's not that bad of a place to live.
  16. Hmmm...I was born in Fulerton, lived there for 2 years, then moved to Hong Kong. :D
  17. well, Jon Davis's(vocalist for korn) dad played keyboards in Buck Owen's band. so i guess that kinda ties it together