Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's hear those Wals

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Aug 10, 2002.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Come on.... let's get some sound clips of some Wals posted. Feed my curiosity! (Yeah, I know I can hear 'em on the last 2 Tool records and on some RHCP or Rush tunes, but I wanna JUST the bass!)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    listen to the beginning of "turn the page" by rush on hold your fire. that's just bass. kickin ass bass, too. :D

3. Get some really nice headphones, then listen to Power Windows... concentrate on the bass... killer sounds...

Nice pick, JT - HYF has some killer bass tones, but on the whole I prefer PoW, and after that, Presto.

--jeff

4. Oops, this is the thread I was thinking of...just posted to the old one!

Here goes...

Well, just before shipping my Wal off for some work, I figured I'd take a stab at recording to the computer. This is really just a bit of noodling, and not exactly my best playing, but at least it gives a bit of an idea what the thing sounds like unaccompanied with no EQ...

Mike

http://www.pop.psu.edu/~zimmer/arabia.mp3

5. i dont suppose anyone knows whether you can buy Wal pickups and electronics only? I really like the sound and the options but I am interested in puting them on a modulus Q5....just something i have been thinking about, what do you all think?
    Nate

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    There's a Sei fretless with Wal pickups and electronics (their website is down?), but that's the only time I've ever seen them outside of a Wal. (inside a Wal, it's too dark to read :p)

7. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    QUOTE]Originally posted by mikezimmerman
    Oops, this is the thread I was thinking of...just posted to the old one!

Here goes...

Well, just before shipping my Wal off for some work, I figured I'd take a stab at recording to the computer. This is really just a bit of noodling, and not exactly my best playing, but at least it gives a bit of an idea what the thing sounds like unaccompanied with no EQ...

Mike

http://www.pop.psu.edu/~zimmer/arabia.mp3
    [/QUOTE]

That was nice, great sound. what did you record with ?

8. I've seen photos of the Sei with the Wal pickups, but that seems to be a very rare thing, and my understanding is that Wal pickups and electronics are not for sale, except in a Wal.

As for the recording, I just plugged straight into the cheap soundcard on my computer and recorded with the some MP3 recording utility. The Wal has very high gain, and I had to cut the volume down below 1 (out of 10) to keep the sound card input from distorting too much. I've recorded with bands a few times before, but this is my first shot at just recording myelf--it's kind of addictive. :)

Mike

9. I must say I always enjoy the great sound of a Wal.

10. You understand correctly. Killer sounding Wal ya got there :)

Bejahu, over on the DudePit Walbangers forum, tried to get a set of Wal electronics to put in a Fodera bass, as he prefers the way those things play. He ended up buying a rather beat up Wal off eBay and sacrificing it for the electronics - Fodera is building him a bass around the Wal electronics. Pretty cool of them!

--jeff

11. That was bejahu's original plan, but the folks at Fodera decided they didn't really think that would work, and they're using Duncan pickups (I think) and the regular Pope electronics for his new Fodera.

He sold the fretless Wal 5 that he'd intended to use for the Fodera to me, but I eventually wound up selling it to someone who plays a lot more fretless than I do. Wal makes a great fretless, though.

Mike

12. Bummer! That's a shame. That would have been an insanely cool bass...

I have heard some freless Wal stuff, most notably Laurence Cottle. Killer fretless tone, I think. Punchy as hell, articulate, mwah, bite, everything... not to mention Laurence Cottle can play like a madman...

I've gotta try one some day...

--jeff

13. is there anyone else out there that's recorded their wal?