Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lets hear your FBB's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 31, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you dont mind would you post a sound clip of your fbb bass,i did a search but most of the past post of samples were no longer up. Thanks

2. MAJOR METAL

Great tone Peter, if you ever get a recording of your 5 please let me know.:)

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    sounds good Pete!

me fretless

frets

hope I have some 8 string samples to share soon!

4. MAJOR METAL

Mark

you got some great chops, Rock on:bassist:

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    ah, youz way too kind there...
    Those clips should carry serious disclaimers...I really should practice once in a while! They were quicky one-off's, just to get the tones represented.

But thanks, I appreciate it!

6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea those are really cool riffs, all of them. I'm glad i finally heard riffs. I want to get an FBB soon. Does the truss rod cover get in the way of slapping?

7. MAJOR METAL

where on LI are you from

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Actually, it did a little at first. I've adjusted to it, otherwise I'd probably have it bevelled down. It probably doesn't have to be as thick as it is.

To get around this on my upcoming 8 string, Matt moved the cover to the headstock end. He has designed one for the body end recently though, it's flush with the top now, and I believe this will be his approach from now on.

Just checked his site, here's what Matt says:
    I have begun implementing a new cover setup for truss rods with body-side adjustment. This is in response to slappers that want more room at the end of the fingerboard. The new cover setup can be seen on 1065-02. Peghead-side adjustment is also an option.

9. Whats an FBB? Fender Brand Bass??

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    these are FBB's:
    have a peek

custom basses built by Matt Schmill in MA.
    He's in the Luthier's Corner forum.

Unless you were just joking around with us, in that case it stands for "Fatty Boombalatty Basses"

11. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the info xush.

I'm in Bellmore...Nassau county...how about you majormetal?

12. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    hey Xush, what kind of pickups and preamp are on your fretted FBB? They sound great. I was thinking having a two EMG DC40 daul coil soapbars and a EMG 3 band Eq put on. Thats the only thing Im debating, electronics.

13. MAJOR METAL

suffolk county huntington

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Bartolini 3J setup, Bartolini NTMB preamp.
    Thanks for asking. I find it very versatile, especially with the 2 blends.

15. MAJOR METAL

Hi Mark

I am thinking about having Matt build me a copy of the warwick infinity(semi hollow). I should have 047-02 in about 2 weeks.

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Sounds cool! I think the 'wacky fretless' that I'm planning on commissioning next (if he ever has an open spot again!) will share some features w/ the Infinity too. I like a nice semi-hollow/chambered instrument. I think Matt could definitely impart a good Warwick vibe.

Can't wait to hear about 47! I hope it's perfect for you. Even if not, there's at least 2 of us who are waiting in the wings to scavenge for that one...

Will you be able to record it any? I'd love to hear some samples.

17. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Metal- Thats not too far from here like a half hour drive. My band was supposed to play a show there a week or two ago.

xush- Yea your bass does sound really versatile, I'm going to look into your pickup configuration. I need the versatility. I need something that will give me an awesome slap tone, but also give me a nice warm jazz tone as well.

18. MAJOR METAL

Mark

I just heard your sound sample with your Infinity i can tell you are a talented player, I can only imagine how one would turn out if matt built it.:)