Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's hear your fretless....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, May 30, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    let's hear your fretless :D

2. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
  3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Blue in Green

Did it a few years back.

Swamp ash Warmoth body, Carvin neck w/ebony FB, Lace Sensors.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's a little clip of my Elrick singlecut fretless five:
    Elrick fretless passive

Here's me playing mostly the same thing but with the bass active.
    Elrick fretless active

And I made this one just now.
    Overfield
    BTW, if anyone listens to this track, can you tell me what time signature it is? I thought it was in 11/8, but I'm still having a very tough time figuring out time signatures by just listening to them.

I'm using my Boss RC 20XL looper on all of them. No effects otherwise.

5. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    nice work fellas

6. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    That are some really nice samples... Suddenly I'm feeling heavy GAS for a fretless :help: :D

7. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa

when the second part comes in it stays in 4/4 to me....the intro is a fragment of the whole ostinato (in other words--pickup measures to 4/4)

anyway sounds like 4 to me but i know not much

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Bassius, what are the specs on your LB76? I'm looking at having one built as my next electric fretless. Also, are you using roundwounds on the ebony (I presume) fretboard?

9. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    here's a pic
    [​IMG]

it's from 95/96 old wilkenson's bridge.
    i use rounds on all my fretless basses...ebony is tough stuff and i probably wont be needing to sand the fingerboard anytime soon.

i've had that thing 10 years and the fingerboard is in great shape.

10. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
  11. That is a mighty fine looking bass, and it sounds even better!!

My fretless sounds nothing like that, i really want that sound, my sound it much warmer much darker. I want a bit of bite!!

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Sweet bass Bassius, sounds absolutely fantastic. What are the neck woods on it? I'm just wondering whether mine will be mahogany with 2 maple stringers or walnut with maple.

As for fretless clips, here's my Fender standard MIM jazz bass in "Finding the Empress":

http://www.myspace.com/ianu

Click on "Finding the Empress" else it will play Autumn Leaves by default (which is on a Fender precision)

13. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa

mine is a 1 piece maple neck...

14. Here's a garage take of Little Wing by our band. Be kind - garage mix's aren't my favorite. Also, please disregard the very obviously missed note in the second section (caused as someone barging into the garage at the wrong time) :D Also be kind with the intonation (I've only been doing the fretless thing for about 3 months) ;)

The bass is a Dean Edge 4 Fretless (rosewood board) preamped to the board (pretty much the natural sound of the bass). Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Here's the link:

Little Wing

15. Another track with the Dean Fretless:

Every Rose

16. How's this for fretless on a old rock tune? I was able to dial in an older tone pretty easily.

Here it is:

Gel

17. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada

mmm that elrick sounds fantastic, the active one is beautiful. Bassius your clips aswell a outstanding as to be expected, some of the coolest slap I've heard done on a fretless