Let's hear your improvised recordings!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Guss, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Anybody ever sit around, and record an improv session on their bass only? If you know theory well, I would appreciate a sample. Nothing special, just you and your bass guitar. You may be familiar with my recent thread: "What about improv music?"
    Well, I'd like to see how theory stands up to "no theory" when it comes to improv. This may be too much work, thats okay.
    I don't know much theory, I just wanna see what it can do. Don't put the best day you ever had on the bass either, thats not fair!:)
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Is just bass improv you're looking for, or other instruments too?
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would suggest listening to some of Steve Lawson's solo bass recordings - Steve's stuff is often completely improvised and never the same twice anyway!!

Oh and I'm pretty sure he has a very good knowledge of theory etc.

You can listen to samples on his website :

4. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001

play nice, now...
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I listenef to 7 minutes of the last track here at, work, then I got busted. Sounds cool LED-THRUWAY!!!
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    heh, I actually have a recording that is just what your looking for...only problem...its about 23 minutes long!
    I could probably just cut some of it up...the reason its so long is cause I plugged my bass in, hit record, then started playing pretty non-stop, I was surfing Talkbass.com at the time and the only pauses are when I clicked at a new thread and started reading :D
    though its on and off on the theory department, its more technique practice, I think I run through a couple of songs that I know. I have studied theory quite a bit(one full course, I'm in the process of an AP course, and I've taken many workshops)I would say I have a pretty solid understanding of theory. I'm still applying it to the instrument though, thats where I find myself stumbling more often, as I learned textbook style and on the keyboard.
  7. I don't have any Mp3s but I have a solo bass CD that I recorded recently. Check out my site on my little profile thingie above....
  8. Theory? Theory?
    Theory sucks, blah,blahblah, destroys creativit-blah blah, it's for pansies who don't want to really lear- blahhhhhhhhhh!:rolleyes:

j/k j/k b/h:)
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Are you "Obsolex" in disguise? ;)
  10. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Obsolex wouldhave posted 2 theory threads ;)
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you need more song samples...the one thats supposed to play when you load the page didn't play for me.
  12. Who is "Obsolex"?
    And yes I am Obsolex in disguise.;)
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Don't you think you should start with your own?
  14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    wondering the same

he's been bragging about how cool his improvs are and that he does not need theory

also he's a cyclist or something

also: Hi Terry!
  15. I have no idea if my improvs are cool! I never said, in any of my post, that you would be impressed by my improv. As far as I can tell, I do pretty good. However I need to see how mine stands up. I don't have a lot of dedicated musicians where I live, so I can't compare.
    There is lot's of experiance around here. That's why I use the site.(for fun also)

Also:Hi Dave!:)

I need to....COMPARE!:D

I've been thinking about going deeper into theory. It's posting like these that are meant to help that decision. I get your words, and if I'm lucky, some proof!:)
    Lot of great musicians here, that's why I love the forums.
  16. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    dude you are being a bit unfair there. That thread is just about dead now. And he didnt brag atall, and he never said he didnt need theory. Hes a bit "prolific", sure....but we can be a bit less defensive and let it go now. Hes asking a normal question and people are treating it as if hes trying to get at summat, i assure you hes not.

Tel, i aint got no recordings...i blew up my soundcard. I would send you my improv to Silver Hands by gypsy kings but its in wav and i cant convert it to mp3...unless you wanna download 80mb that is...;)
  17. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    hehe...didnt see that thread. *waves finger*

well, no matter what, this thread is unrelated...and i actually wanna hear some stuff too. So get of your asses people.
  18. <you need more song samples...the one that's supposed to play when you load the page didn't play for me.>

Damn geocities....I need to work some stuff out there....sorry...
  19. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't know theory... though I am trying to learn it... so mine will be stinky, a great example for why you need a teacher! But in either case, I do want to hear Terry's piece.

Common now, let's go. You started this!
  20. terry, it is very bad form to post a thread like this without offering a contribution of your own.