Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...Lets just get rid of the tab forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Matt Till, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It really and truely serves absolutely no purpose. Here's the life story of every thread in the tab forum.

- Tab request posted
    - Tab request bumped by poster
    - Tab request falls into the endless mass of tab requests

or

- Tab request posted
    - Tab request goes off topic/is closed

In the entire time it's been around I've seen about two tab requests granted OR someone points the person in the direction of the Talkbass tabs section where the tab is and they would have found if they would have looked.

Don't take this as pointless tab bashing, I'm not 100% anti-tab. Heck, I don't know if I'm 50% anti-tab yet. I just consider this one big waste of bandwidth.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've personally provided quite a few custom requests
    through the TB Tab Forum.

The only problem I've found:
    Zero Appreciation for hours of work.

None of the Sheet or Tab's I provided for Members were avaliable on-line.

Most of the Tab on-line is weak or altogether wrong.
    I have helped TBer's with correct versions and worked
    through harder sections of songs for people.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    ... and then you'd get lots more tab requests in the other forums. Many of the tab requests go nowhere because they're badly worded (with a title like Need tabz - pleez hlp), asking for something that's going to take a lot of effort or just demonstrating a complete lack of effort on the part of the poster doing some research of their own.

However, you'll find that some people get some useful answers, and I like the rule that you're not allowed to whinge about how 'inferior' tabs are :D

Wulf

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say that I agree with the premise put forward here - that is, that the vast majority of requests are never dealt with and are basically "swept under the carpet".

I think this doesn't help the requestors and doesn't give a very good impression of TB to new people.

I think that if we were really trying to help people then we should be "allowed" to say that you would be much better off trying to transcribe stuff yourself and if you start with simple things and practice doing this a lot - in the end it becomes easier and you don't have to rely on innacurate tabs and you vastly improve your "ear". :)

Of course this leads to arguments and it seems that the majority would rather avoid arguments than actually try to help other people....:meh:

5. Bruce Lindfield

Your efforts and patience are laudable - seriously - I mean it!!

But I think you have to be realistic and not many - if any - people are going tab something out for someone they :

- don't know anything about
    - who hasn't bothered to do an internet search
    - often hasn't even bothered to phrase the question intelligibly
    - who probably won't thank you and may never even come back to this forum again!! :meh:

It is just not a worthwhile use of anybody's time to Tab whatever comes up on a whim in the Tab forum, for someone who might even give up bass playing tomorrow...?

The common sense approach is to be honest and say - search the net, look on the Tab Archive - if it's not there, you have very little chance of getting it. You might as well start learning to transcribe now and do yourself a big favour and train your ears!!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Oh - I think the phrase I am looking for in this context is :

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”—Author unknown

So - Tab something today or teach that person to do it for themself....? :meh:

I know which makes more sense to me!! :)

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    What Wulf said - I'm much happier not seeing tab requests in GI.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah, Tab forum should stay simply because the places where tab requests would go otherwise are misc, recordings, bassists, general instruction, and maybe even off topic.

I'd rather not have to deal with telling people to get bent every time they post a request for tabs in recordings ;)

9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Oh yeah, me too!!

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

10. Bruce Lindfield

But that's not an argument to keep the Tabs forum - just the Tabs archive - which is not what this thread is about!

In fact this supports what the original post said - that is, a lot of people do come here looking for Tabs and get shunted off to a separate forum and ignored!! What sort of first impression does that give? :meh:

I think it would be far better if we were honest with newcomers and said straight out - if it's not in the Tabs archive then you stand next to no chance of somebody tabbing it out for you!

So don't bother wasting your time putting requests in the Tab forum - try transcribing it yourself and then ask for advice about the hard bits in GI, where people will be happy to give advice and help - but will draw the line at doing it for you!

TB is full of people who are happy to help those who help themsleves - but are generally contemptuous of people who want something for nothing and aren't prepared to put in the effort themsleves!

Come on - that's the truth and nobody can deny it - so why carry on this pretense that people can go along to a forum and get stuff tabbed out for them - it aint gonna happen!! Be honest about it!!

11. Bruce Lindfield

Not to pick on Chris - but this is what it's about - people would rather have an easy life and pretend that by having a Tabs forum we can sweep it under the carpet - rather than trying to actually help people and maybe... get into arguments :eek: ........:meh:

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So, when did you all last look in the Tab forum? I've just skimmed through the most recent post and I'd say there's a fairly good proportion of helpful replies, certainly in respect to the general signal/noise ratio of the requests being made.

Where are the postings from people who've given up on the tab forum while being active and helpful participants elsewhere on the site? Is there any evidence to support the assertion that the current operation of the tab forum is unfriendly and driving people away or is it merely an argument for the sake of it?

At least in the tab forum it's often possible to get a clear and simple answer to a question ;)

Wulf

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I think you need to ask Stupid Matt that question - he was the one saying that very few people got replies.

My point is that the existence of the Tab forum sets up a "false expectation" that somebody is going to Tab things out for you - and be honest - nobody is going to do this!!

So basically it's just a case of saying : search the Tab archive or others on the net. Why not just set up a FAQ saying this and save people the effort of replying with the same thing every time?

It just all seems like a waste of effort and dishonest - why not just tell it like it is, at the top of the forum(s)? :meh:

14. Bruce Lindfield

OK I went and looked in the Tab forum and picked one near the top at random :

So the original poster says :

"Hey, I was wondering if anyone could tab out "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by MetallicA, with all of the fills Jason Newstead does live. Thanks!"

"Finger Blister" replies :

"I've got it.
    Complete live version; ripping bass fills and everything.

No you can't have it. "

"Electric Mayhem" replies :

"I guess I've never heard the live version. Recorded version's really easy (and cool). "

Fairly typical and a complete waste of time for all concerned - why not just say at the top of the forum :

NOBODY IS GOING TO TAB ANYTHING FOR YOU!! IF IT'S NOT IN THE TAB ARCHIVE , SEARCH ON GOOGLE!! BYE!! ;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Just to respond to wulf's criticism of me...;)

I just browsed through the first few pages of the Tab forum - I cannot find one example where a person asked for Tab and somebody tabbed it for him - in fact most of this kind of specific request has zero replies!!

Where people are asking for help on tricky passages there is some discussion but I still didn't find any real answers given by others - although on several occasions I saw the original poster coming back and saying they have got it now - in other words it was a waste of time, them posting!! ;)

Generally I saw lots of comments along the lines of "I know very little theory and I figured these fills out by ear," or go to xxx site - but no real answers ...

In my view it would be much better for everyone if we compiled a FAQ of all the known places to get Tab and say - if it's not there, then we can't help - if you are stuggling with how to play difficult parts - ask for help in GI - but don't post requests for Tab there!!

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If I'd been gunning for you, Bruce, I'd have loaded up the double strength tranquiliser darts :D - I was just firing a general volley over the heads of all who've suggested the Tab forum should be shut down. You'll notice the word "all" in the first sentence of my posting although I suppose you might be using a threaded view which would probably make my use of the handy quick reply look as if I was being more specific.

While we're on the subject of things being missed, how about dragonbass's helpful reply? I've also contributed a few things in the past - although I have limited that to key sections rather than completing a whole song. I would say that most of those who politely ask for help do get some assistance (I'm not counting the demands of those who think posting in the forum is the equivalent of doing a search and who clearly haven't grasped the content of the two sticky posts at the top of the forum).

If there was a change to the tab forum, I'd like to see more emphasis on helping people understand the tabs they have found and less on asking for what a simple search would find.

Wulf

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Overall, there have been very very few (ratio wise at least) replies or tabs given in the forum.

All this thread has in defense of the tab forum is it's the big trash pile we put the tab requests in... I just think that there shouldn't be tab requests. ;)

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    And all you need to do is skip through the forum and look at the number of replies to the thread. And a lot of them have no replies, and the ones that have 1 reply usually are just them saying, "Please." And like Bruce said, they usually disappear after they realize they aren't getting a tab.

19. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Nah, getting into arguments is your job. And by the way, you seem to be very good at it! :spit:

20. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Threads like this are why Paul made a TABZ forum. I don't need an "easy life" as you say, I actually moderated 2 forums for a couple of years before the TABZ forum came along, but having it certainly does make GI more focused on actual instructional questions.