Lets make a bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Feb 18, 2004.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I was wondering, how hard is it to make a guitar. The only dificulty i was thinking of is the frets. Also hollowing a part of the guitar out for the electronics to go. Is that the hard bits. Does anyone know where to find good information about making your own guitar?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

This place explains everything about building a Guitar. Though it's not a bass, the only think you really need to do differently is make a larger and thicker neck (and find the correct fret measurements). Also, buy a few books. There's one called "Make your own electric guitar" by Melvin Hiscock and Brian May.

Also, start out by building stuff out of cheap plywood. You don't want to throw away a good peice of wood because you fecked up the cutting.
  3. Fender4life

Feb 18, 2004
    Its easier to just buy a neck, and make a body, but if you want to make the whole bass your self, you can get "make your own bass kits" try searching "bass kits" on google and see what comes up. My dad builds guitars and bass bodies in his free time, but you need special tools, you'd be better off with a kit.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pfft.. That's no fun. If you want to build a guiitar, build it. You don't need to buy pre-built peices. Then you're just assembling it. ;)
  5. Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    does anyone know where to get exotic woods? i mean do you go to a local store that deals with wood in general and see what they can order you or is there maybe a place on the web. i saw in carvin you can buy a block and make you own bass/guitar so i was just wondering if there is any place else.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    www.galleryhardwoods.com is a place that a lot of us here have bought wood from also-one of the guys ther, Larry Davis, is a member of the boards.