1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Let's make the encore extinct!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Shlabotnik, Mar 11, 2019.

1. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    You sound pretty small minded and arrogant with that ... :rollno:

2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    In fact the *hardcore* Andy Willams fans know that Andy most usually ends his set in an auto-destruct frenzy.
    Kicking in the drum set over is an excellent way to signal that the show is indeed over! :thumbsup:

3. Indulge your audience, even if the encore is fake.

4. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    I don't mind them. When Im playing a show and were asked for an encore at the end of the night, personally Im flattered.

5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    No matter when the band leaves the stage, the audience is going to scream for more. How can a band give the audience what they want if they walk off stage and don't come back? The audience wants an encore. They get excited when bands do them. You can't give them one of you don't walk off stage. I agree that some bands act as if they expect an encore but there are more important things to worry about at a concert, like the use of backing tracks, lip synching and thequality of the performance.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Reporter asking Nirvana:
    Why do you trash your instruments and gear after every show? Is there some kind of symbolism in it?
    Silence......
    Dave Grohl:
    No encores .

Shlabotnik likes this.
  7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

1. I simply love performing genuine encores. Times when the venue is full of excitement, most everyone digs the tunes and the band.
    2. A long time ago we played at a bar owned by a biker club. At the end of the last set, the "manager" or event organizer walked up and plopped down two $100 bills, and firmly stated that we would be playing until he said to stop. The dance floor was packed tight and we rocked on.

Shlabotnik likes this.
  8. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Released a new album over the weekend.
    Did not prepare for an encore.
    Played an hour set.
    People wanted more, we had nothing left...
    The show ended great as FOH didn't know we were finished, so our drummer took the mic, thanked everyone, let them know that was all of the songs we know (as this version of the band), and that it'd be great if someone played Korn's "Got the Life" to conclude the evening :laugh:

Encores are funny and often predictable, but still feel good in the right context.
    Like having a bunny on stage...
    Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 8.09.07 AM.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Encores should be earned, not expected. I remember when I was young, and saw Chicago (about 1978) The crowd kept standing and applauding, even after the lights came on. I think they did 4 encores. They finally had to finish with a Beatles' song. It was obvious that was not planned. THAT was enjoyable.

hrodbert696, LBS-bass and Shlabotnik like this.
  10. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I don't mind encores for national touring bands, or the headliner for any show, although I think the false drama of the "fakeout" is unwarranted most of the time.

I do want to kill the concept of the local band in the middle of the bill who plays an encore during a show that is already running late.

Shlabotnik likes this.
  11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    In these, the final days of live music, it is in our own best interest do to whatever is necessary to keep audiences happy and wanting live music. If we are so arrogant as to think we are above an occasional encore, when requested, then we are contributing to our own demise. In live music, as in any other public service business, the basic rule is do what the customer wants. When you don't play requests or do the encore, you are only alienating the people who are paying you. I don't mean the club owner. He is only passing the customer's money through to you. Why is this such a big deal?
    Grow a pair and do your job, while you still have one. Live music is steadily declining. Pitch in and help keep it alive.

BassCliff likes this.
  12. We've never done an actual encore, well Kinda I guess. We often get asked for more songs while we're turning the amps off, most of the time we'll talk real quick and pick the guitars back up. Sometimes we refuse, when our drummer is done he's done. I'm already there, so I'm usually down to play all night but not by myself, so... But we've never left the stage planning to be begged to come back.

13. Dr_Benway

Dr_Benway

Aug 22, 2018
    Earth
    Maybe you should ask for more money, if playing an extra song or two is such a hassle. That's what I do. If an audience keeps going on and on, I make a public service announcement that the venue has only paid for music up to this point. If you wish to hear more, make it rain. If your offering is deemed adequate, then we will play another tune.

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No matter what, planned encores are lame. It's like a tip in a good restaurant - it used to be a reward, now it's part of the script.

But two very different situations we are discussing here. If playing in a club/bar, it's up to the owner. Very often they will tell you exactly when you have to stop. In that case, if the owner allows us, we will generally play one more, then politely suggest that they pony up - pay the piper if they want it to play.

In a theater, I'll play as long as we can and they want us to play.

hrodbert696 and LBS-bass like this.
  15. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Absolutely! Thank you for helping clarify this to the people who wrongly concluded that my point was that I was tired and lazy (or I feel it's a "hassle" ) and just didn't want to play any more. No. Read the whole post. Hell, if there are 2 people in the audience who honest and truly crave more of our music when the planned set is over and done with, then... I could play all night!

Also, to clarify our situation, this is a smallish-club original act that my original post pertains to. Though, as an audience member, my feelings extend to most any show I might be attending as a spectator, save for the ones that are the most extraordinary.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  16. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Thanks to (almost) everyone who responded for their insightful feedback. It's given me some very interesting points of view to consider with regard to different venue, gig and band types. I haven't changed my overall feeling on the subject from what I stated in my original post but it's some great food for thought and I can now see where different circumstances might call for different courses of action.

Stay low...

BassCliff and hrodbert696 like this.
  17. madbass6

madbass6 Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UwAHoECAsQAw&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov here's what I think its
    it's a good thing you didn't attend Michael's Jackson's super bowl show !

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Same here. Sometimes people are standing there and really want us to play a couple more. Which is fine with me. Sometimes though the bar has a hard stop time due to county rules or something. But like you we're a bar band so there is no separation from the crowd.

akrachanko likes this.
  19. For national acts, I noticed over time as they age many of them no longer leave the stage. They stay on the stage. The drummer will come out to the front with the rest of the band .. get applause.. get behind the kit again and do the last few songs.

20. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I really have no opinion in the OP’s question. But I watched a video on AxsTV of Billy Joel’s “last” show at Shea Stadium and it was ridiculous. After about 30 minutes, he said “Thank You Everyone, Goodnight!!!”......... and then came out for like 17 encores over the next 2 hours. The third or fourth encore featured his friend “Paul” who just happened to be there and ready to play his song, “Let it Be” or something while Billy sat on top of the piano.
    It was pretty ridiculous. Can you imagine if you were the idiot that left before the encore to beat the traffic and missed Paul??? I’d be one unhappy fan.
    And who even really knows if it even was his “last show at Shea stadium”??? He probably came back the next night and did it all over again.
    SMH

Shlabotnik likes this.