1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Let's make the encore extinct!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Shlabotnik, Mar 11, 2019.

1. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    I bought up this subject a few weeks ago with my band but they wanted to keep the encore, I find it embarrassing.

Shlabotnik likes this.
  2. Perrygoround

Perrygoround

Jun 27, 2016
    I tend to agree. I have found myself in that unconfortable situation where you have an extra song, everybody knows it and you don't really know if you should leave the stage or just play it.
    But I have to say that a couple of times after we had really ended the set, we have been insistedly asked for an extra song that was not planned at all. Those were the good nights.
    I have been in big shows of huge bands where this has happened as well. I remember once with Aerosmith (Paris 2007) where the show was so good and everybody was so warm that they decided to play an extra song after the "obligated encore" was finished.
    But the best one I have seen was Dio in my hometown (Vigo, Spain) in the early 2000s. I remember that night was so good, the audience was being so wild, that Dio kept on playing song after song when the set was supposed to have finished. I remember the members of his band onstage were looking at him saying "Ok, that was it, right?" and he, with a big smile on his face, asked them for one more and then another, and then, another. I think he played 3 or 4 extra ones that night. One of the best shows I remember. That was EPIC. One of the most talented and down to earth musicians I have seen live.

EddiePlaysBass and Shlabotnik like this.
  3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    we never do "encores". Our band philosophy is that it is always MUCH BETTER to leave the crowd wanting 3 more than playing 3 too many and annoying them. Twice we have been convinced to play one or two more before we left the stage, but usually not.

Shlabotnik likes this.
  4. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

My cover band will sometimes do an extra song at the end of our last set (restaurant / bar gig). At private events, we usually do a couple extra songs if the people want to hear more. I personally don't like encores at big concerts and take that opportunity to beat the crowd out of the venue :) I don't care if the band has waited until the encore to do their most popular song - I'm out!

5. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    I saw Phish a few years ago and I liked how they handled it their show. They just jammed. No small talk, no telling stories, no time fills. They just jammed. When they were done, that was it. They said they enjoyed themselves and had fun playing. People were hanging out and making all kinds of noise for them to keep playing, but that was the end of the show. It was kind of refreshing.

This post has brought up some interesting insights. Myself personally, I would like to see bands(even big ones) give encores to audiences that really connected with the show: people who are jumping around like crazy, massive mosh pits, clapping, raising fists/devil horns(I'm a rock fan, if you can't tell haha), singing words to a lot of a band's songs, just being really engaging for most of the show(I realize some of this is hard to do the entire show) instead of sitting filming the whole thing on their f**king phone! You get the idea. If the crowd is really that into the music, let 'em have 1-2 more songs.

Shlabotnik likes this.
  6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I think every band should be required to plan an encore, and the mandatory encore song should be "Free Bird." This really highlights the showmanship of the entire band and builds to a beautiful climax. Guitarists should be able to wail away for a long time.

7. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    Actually, this post seems full of Arrogance

8. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    El Ten Eleven is another band that doesn't do encores. To paraphrase: We've got 10 minutes left. We can leave stage and come back for a one song encore, or we can play three songs and forget about the whole encore thing. Do you want to hear one more song, or three more songs.

Not having en encore works in this scenario, because you've explicitly explained to the crowd that they've gotten more by foregoing the entire charade.

I can only think of one time that an encore has been a surprise. That was when the virtually unknown opener, Ben Harper, whose debut album was only out for a couple months, put on an absolutely stunning set. The crowd was so vocal, that after 10 minutes of loud cheers, claps, and stomps, the opening act came out for a 2 song encore. This was after they had already begun striking the stage to get ready for the headliner.

Shlabotnik likes this.
  9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'd rather slam my *ick in a car door

10. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Public Enemy played in Nashville in the early 90's. Chuck D announced right at the opening of the show there would be no encores, but they would play as long as the audience hung in there with them. They played about three and a half hours and no complaints from anybody. Encores aren't necessary.

Shlabotnik likes this.
  11. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    yes, annoying. expected. pointless. but there is no way globally to make them "extinct" either

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

We don't do 'encores'. Leave that for national well known acts. The venue gives us a cut off time. We adhere to it.

Charlzm likes this.
  13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Gives the band a chance to take a leak.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  14. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I did my time in cover bands: several years. We timed our sets and our breaks so that we would finish at closing time. No club ever wanted us to play later, despite some patrons asking for one more song.

My experience only. Yours may vary.

15. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en Presently distractivated Supporting Member

Yep, this is exactly what I meant to say, but you've said it better. This was a time I saw everybody I could and can't even remember some at times.

16. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Years ago I went to an Eels gig. There were a couple of encores. Most of my friends and I left. We hadn't realised that there had been a third encore which had devolved into an audience-band jam until the missing member of our party finally emerged 30 minutes later.

17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

It's the opposite for me. People scream for an encore and we don't play one because we don't freaking feel like it.

18. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    8 pages deep and i still feel compelled to chime in. Go figure...

Encores are tradition. I agree that encores mostly have a predictable sequence of events. At one time, a long time ago, before you and before me, the encore was a spontaneous genuine, sincere complement. If nothing else, how it goes now is just a tribute to remembering that happened. And just occasionally, you can be part of that original, complementary courtesy to the band that entertained you so much you really do want “one more”.

BassCliff likes this.
  19. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    The crowd never asks for an encore at my church:(.

20. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    We do play a postlude--but nobody listens--so that's when I sometimes try odd stuff or play a different style.

As for encores--as a music fan I like them when the band does something different with them--so do an odd cover or an obscure song or something like that do a well known song of yours quite differently, etc--and also do a well known one of yours as well--mix it up--have fun.

ak56 and Shlabotnik like this.