1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lets play a game. keep biff from making a mistake if you can.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by biff malibu, Mar 3, 2008.

1. i have asked all my bass playing friends this question and have gotten a different answer everytime.

i have never used anything but 45-100 nickel rounds. i play in a band that calls for me to have to fill a lot of space (electro drums, and minimal guitars with lots of synths) i also have some songs that call for the disco octave thing, and quick walking up fill type stuff. no slap. while i have no complaints really about my 45-100 nickel rounds ive always used, i think they sound a bit too thin for live and my hand usually cramps up pretty quickly perhaps because they are too floppy and i end up pounding them to get them to "thicken up" (i play all fingers by the way). although recorded they work great. also, sustain, fundamental, and articulation are paramount.

so, oh wise genii of TB. what string do you recommend?

flats? steels? chromes?

i play an MIA jazz.

2. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    if you like yours just try those in 45-105 or even 50-110 gauge or youll end up on a LONG string search ! (so, remember: never change a winning team)
    ;-) just my thouhts

3. yeah dad but staying with the same ol same ol isnt FUUUUNNNN :crying::oops:

;)

4. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    This is really a decision you'll have to make for yourself, and trust me it will take a long time and a lot of cash to find your perfect brand at $20-$40 per set. I've been playing for over 10 years and I still haven't settled on an official brand yet. I've probably gone through 20 or 30 different brands/gauges/styles on my various basses.

Going by what you've said here, you probably want to look into a heavier string, try a set of .50-.110s and see how you like it. Thicker strings will be tighter than thin ones in the same tuning. I just recently tried a set of DR Low-Rider 110s on my bass and I really like how stiff they feel even in a low tuning (CFBbEb), and they have a nice tone that I like as well.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    45-100 is my preferred gauge, but I have a fair amount of variation on my four basses. I range from TI flats on a Jazz to Light Steels (40-100-128) on a Sadowsky to medium light DA XLs on a P (45-100) to Superalloys on a G&L L2K (45-105).

IME, string gauge does not necessarily make your tone thicker. Brand of string, EQ, bass, amp, cabinet all have an impact. All nickel rounds are not equal either.

Based on what you describe I would recommend TI Superalloys. I have played them on an alder / rosewood 5 string Jazz and on a ash / maple 4 string G&L L-2000. They sound different on the different basses but they have a very nice low mid punch that may be what your after. Or maybe not.

Superalloys/

Labella Hard Rockin' Steels are a great steel string with a nice mid voicing, tight bottom, and non harsh highes. A bit different than what you are probably playing today. They are my preferred string on my alder / rosewood Sadowsky.

Also try playing with the boosting mids in your EQ. I prefer a bump around 800Hz. But some bass / amp combinations may benefit from a boost in the 200Hz region. If you have the smiley face, try and get away from that. Set bass and treble flat.

6. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Try something totally opposite just to see what the difference is. Maybe tapewounds (medium gauge). ;)

7. Try the same brand you use in 50-110, it will fill up more space live, I recently discovered the wonders of heavy gauge strings.

8. I agree. If you're looking for something diffrent, why not go for the gusto. Defy convention.