Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's play "What would you buy?"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassmusic808, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Here is the situation:

Say you only have 2 things, the bass of your dreams and the amp of your dreams. Now, you only have $2000 to spend on other things you need/want so you must choose wisely. What would you buy??

What peripherals must you have to compliment / improve on your sound or practicing??

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Lessons from a good teacher.

3. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    besides my dream bass, i'd buy a decent upright bass so i can start learning how to play.
    -nik

4. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    a stand to hold my music. 25$
    gloves to keep my hands warm in the winter. 10$
    gas money for practices 1065$ :(

cost of isolated housing, the REASON you began playing bass. priceless.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait, dream bass, and dream rig..and THEN the Two grand to blow on musical stuff?

Find a 24 bit X-Wire (the old ones...:()
    Comfortable, long strap
    High quality cables.
    Lessons
    Another bass!

6. I'd buy a good strap, some good cables, a slew of effects, some lessons, and several dozen 9 volt betteries.

7. Music lessons so I learn to play. Also LAter after I have learned to play a Zon Sonus Custom.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lessons
    $20 to Talkbass for Supporting Membership
    Spend the rest on the best used bass and amp I could find. www.bassgear.com is a great place to start.

9. If i Had us$2000 to spend on anything but basses and abplification, I'd buy stands, strings, straps, cables, a wha, a good digital fx processor, instructional videos, and some lessons.. and if some cash was left, pair of congas or a djembe would get in the list.. :cool:

10. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    a dream rig - Fender Bassman stack
    400 bassman head, bassman410 cab and a bassman115 cab...
    keep my peavey 400watt 15 ...
    my dream bass- MusicMan Stingray 4 string in pearl blue with a black abalone pickguard.. =D
    then with the 2 grand
    i'd buy a peavey 4x10 cab to my peavey rig.. and have a A/B box.. and switch between the fender for clean and the peavey for distortion (i love my amp distortion on my peavey)

Other things id buy?
    well a Roland V studio, epiphone jack cassady bass, a really really nice set of moniters (I love UBL)
    about 1000 blank cds so i could get this new album off the ground and into my pocket if you know what i mean..oh yeah and Sans amp or a m80 and a bass pandora
    Im not big on effects.. i used to be like crazy about delays and distortions and trying to mask my sound.. but does it help my playing.. no not really it just makes me lazier cause the effects make me sound better than i am =/

i wanna pandora for the road.. effects are fun to toy with but nothing to be like drop dead serious about(well for me that is)

11. i'd prolly cash in on the amp b/c i already have an amp that kills. and i'm satisfied with my current bass so i could chance cashing in on that dream bass too. if i not, i'd go with a gibson thunderbird or something rickenbacker. and with the two thousand? nothing. oh and two chicks at the same time. chicks dig dudes with money.

12. 2G to spend? Probably a multi-effects box, but a really good one. I've used crappy ones in the past and had bad experiences. (still in therapy)

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    a cheap drum set [the ones that go for like $300-500 & a decent set of cymbals {$300??] ok-there's i'll call $800, $100 drum vid. lessons, $300 lessons from my bass teacher for another few yrs. $1200 so far then a case of strings [EB slinky 5s] $100, $1300, then uhh, an 8 track tape recorder with a few mikes [cheap ones]. $60 supporting member 3 years Blank tapes with the rest. Do my own bass & drums stuff & by playing drums i could tighten up my rythm/understanding of how drum and bass parts fit. this could all change in 5 minutes though. thats all

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Let's see...got the bass, got the amp, and $2,000 left to spend, only on music related stuff....

* A rack tuner
    * A top notch mega padded leather gig bag
    * A Furman power conditioner
    * One pack of about a dozen different string brands, just to try 'em out and see what I REALLY like.
    * If there's anything left, drinks for my favorite drummer ;)

Peace,

James

15. A new pickup for my P-bass
    Some good cables that don't coil like a snake
    A lot of strings
    A 4 track and a decent soundcard/speaker setup for my computer
    And if I had any left, I'd add it to what I have now and get a new computer

16. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    $2000????