Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lets play, "Whats wrong with my amp"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Nov 17, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Man, i don't have a band if i can't figure out what the problme is by next wensday, and thought i could ask you guys before i take it into the shop. Alrighty, i have a crate bt-350 (Don't let the name fool you, i LOVE this thing) Tube pre amp, now, my brain power of amps is slim, because ive never had a problem with it before. A while ago, When i would flip the switch i would hear a "CHUNK AH flop....dead... nothing." then, i would turn it off, then back on again, either nothing would happen, the same would happen, or it would come on. And it would come on on every 3thd try or so. i ignored it (Like an idiot) and then, after coming back from the long ride home, with the amp riding in the bed of my truck, in very cold conditions, i took it out, hooked it up, and now, it has the same problem, but it turns on (power wise) alot more, but all i get is a low signal, thats very distorted, and i have to crank the gain and master to max to hear anything. i get no green light, or red light to show that the tube is over loading. i popped it open, and i turned it on, and the tube was lit,,,, but very dim, and orenge. I don't know what tubes are suppused to look like anyway, i'm just trying to say everything i know. PLEASE HELP???

PS: I noticed a flash of light whenever i turned on the when it was working, and sometimes,,,, sparks would fly out the powerswitch.... man,,, i am a idiot to let that go on as long as it did.

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    It sounds like it's just plain old screwed up. Take it to a tech...

3. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My Mackie power amp did the switch thing, where it would hesitate to power up and sometimes sparks would fly out of the switch. It turned out to be a bad switch...an $8 part that was easily fixed. Maybe that could be all that is wrong with your amp. I don't know about the distorted sound though.

4. Try the old technical tap. Bang on it with your fist while it is turned on, and while you're playing through it. If the mechanical shock makes a difference, it's as simple as a bad connection or broken solder joint somewhere. If it doesn't make a difference, then something has probably failed, like the switch or something.

Chris

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Exactly what is it that you love about "this thing"?

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The fact that it sucks.