Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lets say my pre amp tube went out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Nov 21, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well... lets say, just for kicks, my tube went out thats in my pre amp. what would be the resulting effects?

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    what preamp/head?

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Take an old preamap tube, shake it and bang it around a few times and put it in your preamp. Then you'll know.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It's me crate bt-350. It has a "Tube Preamp". What would happen? because i think something might of happened to mine. if not, i'll just take it into the shop today.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I don't know anything about that head in particular, but most of the time when the tube "goes out" the sound goes away. If you just have a tube that's going bad, you might get some really nasty distortion & serious microphonic tendencies...

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks man. i can't figure out WHATS wrong with this thing. i really have been haning on to this thing for a while.... maybe it's about time it "kicked the bucket". BUT IT SOUNDS SO GOOD. (Yeah yeah, i'm nuts) Only thing i'm getting is a low distorted signal when i crank the gain and master. and no lights came on to tell me the tube was getting loaded, or over loaded. oh well. Crap, now i have to get a job.:p

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Polly, you can get a preamp tube for 8 to 12 bucks in most stores. (I assume it's a 12AX7?) Why not just buy one, stick it in, and see if anything sounds different? You can always put the old one back in if the tube turns out not to be the problem, and in any case, it can't hurt to have a spare.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    you would not BELIVE the crap i get from other musicians/bassists. One gig i taped over the crate name, and all the sudden ,,, MY TONE WAS AWESOME.....well, to them.

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Hey, check out my profile! The BT-350 was my first head. It was so much ballsier than my previous amp, a Fender BXR200. I didn't think it was that bad of an amp; my cabs were probably the worst point in my sound chain. I liked the EQ and the chorus that detuned when you crank it. Plus, the Chorus had a frequency knob so you can keep the lows from getting warbley.

Anyway, I replaced the tube in mine once and it had a SLM tube in it (go figure). Tubes are cheap, so you might as well try one.

:)

10. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I've got a Crate B20XL practice amp that I bought new over 12 years ago. I have logged a LOT of practice hours on that thing in those 12 years and it still works perfectly! And I haven't been easy on it either. Nailing low b's and playing it as loud as its little 20 watts will go. The amp pretty much clips constantly, but the frail looking 10" speaker just keeps on pumping out those low b's! It ain't the greatest sounding thing, but I don't care! Its great for practicing at low levels without keeping the neighborhood awake. I'll keep pounding it as long as it will let me!:cool:

(Can we keep this just between us?!):D