Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lets say you own a MTD Kingston

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Jan 23, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

And lets say you wanted to upgrade it, what would you do? I have one and I really think its a great bass for the $, but at times I wish things were alittle better.

Has anyone tried an active pre-amp?

How about a new bridge??

Let me know of any mods people have done.

2. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    (everybody) "You own a MTD Kingston".

I couldn't resist.

Try fiddling around with a outboard pre-amp for starters. Something as simple and inexpensive as that might be the trick.

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    michael dimin loves his mtd heir through a fodera stompbox preamp. raves about the tone.
    i ordered one quite some time ago, but they're still backordered... :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. http://www.musictoyz.com/fodera.htm

They have 'em in stock for $250.

5. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I've had mine since 11-16-01. I just got it back from a guitar tech who installed a capacitor on the tone pot (I guess it didn't come with one originally, but that's another story). Now it behaves like it has a tone control. When I got it home, I put some thick cloth (3 layers) in the pickup cavity and used some ball-point pen springs around the pickup screws (I got that idea from someone else here). Now the pickup sits exactly where I want it, 'cept I still have to tweak the string height. I also restrung it with Ken Smith balanced stainless steel taperwounds. It's a tad on the bright side, but that's through my garage rig. I don't plan on any modifications since the plan is to get a Digitech BP-200 for my birthday in March.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I own one myself! So, here's what I'd do. I'd drop in a new pup, maybe a SD, or a Bartolini MM style deal. Then, I'd throw in a active Pre-amp, and a three-band EQ. With three pots needed, and two on the bass, that's only two holes to be routed. I've looked in that cavity, it can definitely hold that much. Or, (possibly in addition to) you could drop in a Jass at the neck, like on the Heir, in addition to the regular pup and a 3 band EQ, you'd have a tone monster.

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
  8. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    thanks for the heads up~
    will check it out!

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Cool Im i got the gears moving in my head now!