Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lets see some action pics!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Jun 4, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Let's see some action pics with you and your bass!!!

2. I can't believe no one has responded. OK, I'll go first. Here is a photo of me playing my Kay in a jam session at Merlefest, a bluegrass festival in Wilkesboro, NC.

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Did it rain a lot at Merle this year? I came this close to going down there...

4. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    2 recent jazz gigs..

[​IMG]

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD

[​IMG]

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Ahhh crap!

I thought I was in BG :rolleyes: :meh:

I also play EUB so use your imagination :bassist:

7. Damon,

Yes, it rained a lot at Merlefest..but it was off and on. This was my eleventh Merlefest, and I had as much fun as ever. Hope you can make it down next year.

8. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Here is a picture of a recent show with "The Stanleytones" at the Swallow Hill Music Association in Denver. Nice 200 seat converted church.

Both of my basses blew out so I was using a Kay loaner. Strings were like guy wires with about 6" action.

A full summer of shows ahead with this combo![​IMG]

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Here's a shot of me in a presentation of a very funny musical, "Smoke on the Mountain," which I had a great part in last year.

Normally, I don't have on this much pancake and avoid the pomade, but you did ask.

[​IMG]

Chas

10. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    This is me at the Harmony bar in Madison, WI playing with the Cash Box Kings

that's my 55 Kay.

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    very nice pics people.....keep them comin

12. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    What is that box your endpin is resting on? Does it add resonance, make it louder?

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I figured I couldn't get away with no one asking that question.

It was an odd solution to a rather odd problem.

I switched to acoustic guitar for some solo stuff a couple of times in the performance. (that's my Gibby that the guy next to me is holding) I also exited stage in part of the act. The stage wasn't large enough for me to just lay the bass over on it's side, so we used my KC strings stool/stand. Like most stands, the bass won't rest in it with the endpin fully extended. So, that was my way of getting bass high enough and making it able to quickly place in the stand.

Also, this play is about a mountain family gospel group. It is set in the late 1930s, but the presentation was dinner theater style,serving about 22 tables of 12 in about 4,000 sq. ft. So, the box also afforded a place for me to hide the PU preamp and the DI box. I used black zip ties to secure the wires of a K&K double barrel behind the tail piece and along the tail gut. We taped the XLRs to the stage and painted over the gaffers tape when they painted the floor.

One interesting note, for the first act of one of the nights, I forgot to plug in the preamp and played the whole act off the mains. The sound tech said I was a little thin, but was amazed that I hung in the mix fairly well.

The photo was actually taken at the final dressed rehearsal. Before the presentation, the set designer painted the box and faked some kind of old coffee label on it.

I still have the box at home. It is the perfect height when placed on end to sit beside hubs and serve as place to sit the calipers when I change brake pads.

Chas

14. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    :pI'm new to the board and thought I'd put a pic of me playing in Seattle with the free improv collective Monktail Creative Music Concern.

15. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    :confused: I guess I dont know how to use the board yet but I'll try again. If anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong and why my picture won't go up that would be a big help. Thanx.

16. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    If the picture is on a web server, just copy its address into your post.
    If the picture is on your local HD, attach it to the post (NOTE: previewing the post will remove the attachment link). Then, if you want to make the pic show in the post, open the attachment and copy its address. Open the post for editing and paste the address into the post. Change "url" into "img".
    If you quote one of the other posts with a picture in it, you will see how it's done.

Welcome to the board, btw.

17. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Let's see if this works.

18. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Here's a pic of me playing with Dizzy Gillespie ;)

19. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. A much younger me, with Toots Thielemans, on my 'comeback'.