Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lets see them Yamaha's!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 31, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Lets see your Yamaha's!

From the cheapest one that you got in your first beginners pack with a cheap amp, to the most beautiful TRB.,

SHOW THEM!

2. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    I hope this picture counts, otherwise I can take a real picture of mine :)

Same finish, color. Although, it has a much more "metallic" look in person then it does here:

And I have D'Addario Roundwound strings on them instead of the stock Yamaha strings.

[​IMG]

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
  4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Here's my modded BB5000AF fretless. It has EMG humbuckers and a custom made pickguard.
    [​IMG]

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And guess who has lneals stock yammer pups? :D

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    :D :cool:

7. heres what my yammy rbx755a looks like:

8. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    tuBass:
    Quick question: I've got a Yamaha BBeast and was looking to change the preamp and pickups. Did you have to modify the BBG5S for the EMGs? Thanks.

9. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Here's my six string TRB6P

I got a stunning deal on it. I will make a thread about it sometime.

Regards

LA

10. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Here's one of my first basses, a Yamaha RBX 270

now converted to piccolo bass [the satin one]

and my first bass, a Yamaha RBX 160F Fretless, black.

Regards

LA

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't have it anymore, but it was a beautiful bass.

Yamaha Attitude Standard V

[​IMG]

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I have a Yamaha RBX300 4 string. it lay in my closet for the past 10 years, but last week i got it out, and im in the process of cleaning the bugger up. Those old stock pickups are going, as is the bridge. Ill be fitting new pots, knobs, bridge, pups, and stripping the finish back from white (read dicolored cream) to the natural wood. (looks like maple, probably isnt.

ill post some work in progress pictures in a bit, when i next borrow a didgicam. :bassist:

just to let all you yamaha owners know, the finish is a b*tch to get off, 3 applications of nitromors and 3 sand downs later, its thinking about coming off. I spent 6 hours on the back yesterday, and clearedan area about 12 inches by 6 inches.

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Not at all. The existing pickup cavities are a touch bigger than the 45DC's, but they were a drop in installation. The immediate improvements was in the depth of the sound, the better headroom with the 18V system, and the lack of hum wit the new setup.

Does the BBeast have soapbars or j pickups? I can never keep up with which ones yamaha is using on the BB series.

I would hope that the $300 BBG5S and the much-more-expensive BBEAST don't share the same electronics. You might not get the same level of improvement from the upgrade that I did. WHat is it about the BBeast that you find lacking?

14. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks tuBass, I have the older BBeast with the soapbars like the BBG5S. The problem with them is that they are noisy (maybe it's the preamp) and I wanted to get the EMG sound. I think the BBeast and the BBG5S pickup holes are the same but the BBeast is an alnico V pickup.

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    THe pickup holes in mine are 4.75" by 1.5", so the 45DC's (4.5") are just a little big, but only 1/8th of an inch sticks out on each side. Since I have a black bass, and the interior of the whole is black also, it's really not a problem at all. I never liked Yamaha's preamp, but it's so proprietary I don't know how difficult it would be to put in a new one. It was simpler to gut everything with a wire on it and just start over. That way I knoew there would no be any conflicts.

Good luck, and oh yea, Let's see some pictures!!

16. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey thats kinda cool. Ive never seen an attitude V before. Cool!

17. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    This one's been about already.....but hey, why not!

Another airing of the Attitude 10th Anniversary in very snazzy purple!

18. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    I'd love to show you my BB605, and RBX800, but the pictures are too large. I'll try to get some smaller pix that will work :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    there, now my bass is to small :)

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm so glad you asked. TRB5-PII. Man-oh-man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    My RBX760A (for sale if anyone is interested... im asking ~$300, willing to talk).