Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's See Those Alembics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Apr 13, 2003.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Okay, somebody had to do it, so guess it oughta be me.

Let's see those Alembics. Epics & Elans, Distallates & Signature Deluxes. Ones you own, ones you used to own, and if ya got somethin' bein' built show it. Oh, and don't forget to give us the specs.

I'll kick us off be delving into my past.....

My first taste of the high end low end,
    [​IMG]
    1983 Birdseye Maple Spoiler

32"scale, mahogany body w/ birdseye maple top and ebony fretboard. I traded it and some cash for.....

[​IMG]

1987 Stanley Clarke Signature Deluxe

30.75" scale, mahogany body w/ rosewood top and back. 5 piece maple/purpleheart neck with ebony fretboard. While I was trying to find shortscale strings for the SC Deluxe, I found ....
    [​IMG]

1974 Series I
    32" scale, maple core, walnut top and back, 5 piece maple/walnut neck w/ebony fretboard.

Then I found this one on the internet.....

[​IMG]
    1979 (?) Series II
    32" scale, mahogany body, bocate (my opinion) or zebrawood (Alembic's records) top and back, 5 piece maple/purpleheart neck w/ebony fretboard.

The reason for the question mark on the year and the "disagreement" on the wood is that the serial number is uncertain. It is located at the 24th fret, but has been worn smooth. I put Kleenex over the area and rubbed with a pencil and got what looked like "791391". I sold it to Brian Barrett and it wound up at Bunny Bass who for some reason believed it was a 1980.

Well, there's my sordid past. On to the present.

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I sold my 1979 Series II to Brian Barrett to make room (physically and financially) for the two Alembics I still own. Oddly enough, they were delivered to me the same week in June, 2000. What a week...:bassist: :bassist:

[​IMG]
    2000 Mark King Deluxe / Series II electronics

My 4 string Series II wasn't getting much playing time 'cause the church I played at did a lot of stuff in D and in F, so my Ken Smith Burner 5 string saw all the work. I decided I needed a Series II 5 string, but couldn't find one used and didn't want to pay the steeeeep price for a new one, so I optioned up a Mark King Deluxe (coco bolo standard!) and saved a couple grand.

I bought this one because it was available...
    [​IMG]
    1987 Series I

Thankfully, 2000 was a good bonus year. This one is a 34" scale, mahogany body, walnut top and back, 5 piece maple/purpleheart neck w/ebony fretboard and red side LEDs. Purchased from and signed by Stanley Clarke.

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Something like this?

[​IMG]

or maybe this....
    [​IMG]

or maybe this...
    [​IMG]

My guess it sometime in the next 3 - 5 years I may pop for something in a 5 string fretless with a different body style than the two I have. Time will tell.

Peace,

James

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark King Standard

5. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Good Thread! OK, here is my one and only. Distillate 5-string. Had it built in 1990 and have been playing it ever since! FYI, the top is Coco Bolo.

Da Front:
    [​IMG]

Da Back:
    [​IMG]

Da Body:
    [​IMG]

AND Da LED's!
    [​IMG]

6. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Rogue 5 with their first one-piece top, spalted english beech.

It's a keeper!:D

7. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    and its kind of heavey:bawl:

actually, the one I have looks just like this one. My bass decided it was too shy to take a picture:D

or if the truth be told.....I don't have a camera:spit:

8. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    How do like the weight of your Rogue?????

Mine is quite heavy:bassist:

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man, i really dig the rogues and europas...nice stuff, yo

10. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    yekcko, mine's heavy but it balances so well I don't mind. I've owned a few heavier basses, so this one's no problem. A wide strap really helps.

If yours looks like the picture...it's gorgeous!

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    here's my fave alembic...

[​IMG]

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    For me it's a tradeoff between that one and Rare Gem. If this one had Series II electronics, or Rare Gem was a 6-string. . . as it is, purpleheart and ebony neck? :eek:

13. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Here's my latest that I took possesion of about a month ago. It really sounds amazing.

Bones

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sweet europa, man....are those series I or II electronics?

15. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Series I

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The guy that owns this has something like 8 - 10 Alembics and another on order. And y'all thought I was outta control ;)

This one was actually one of a pair that he had built simultaneously

http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_rami.html

Peace,

James

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i was reading about that....about how the fretless cracked or something. man, i would be nuts. but yeah, both of those basses are really sweet. and he's got 10 alembics? god, must be nice...i would really like to try one of those things out one day.

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Just imagine the poor guy who had The Dark and The Light built, sent it back to get it converted to fretless, and on return the shipper (OUPS, I think) totally smashed the case, so bad the headstock came out through the hardshell! Which I think only cracked the neck. ;) But still. Damn.

19. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh god, man...my poor behind would have the dying quivers...layin' on the deck shakin' and stuff...alembics cost a lot of dough. was alembic able to fix that? sounds horrible...the stuff of nightmares.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    IIRC the shipper's insurance footed the whole bill for a replacement ($12,760 to be precise :eek: ), and he had Alembic build him a new one. The way I found out about this was because the insurance co's liquidator put the bass up on Ebay, saying it was in OK condition, just a "scratch" etc - whereas Alembic quoted $3500 or something to fix it. I don't remember if anyone bought it or not. The original seller was here and posted a bit in the thread. I'll see if I can dig it up. . .