Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's See Those LEDs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, May 2, 2002.

1. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Now you're just showing off !!

Quite right - that looks real nice:cool: :cool:

2. Here's my Mike Lull Modern 5:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hey, that Lakie is cool--never seen one with a 3+2 headstock, but I think I like it a lot.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Really got that "Children of the Damned" thing working there, Funky.

Sweet.

4. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I've read a review of a Warwick Jack Bruce LTD. It said it would cost 3245 Euros without and 5339 Euros with LEDs.
    Are LEDs really THAT expensive??:eek: :confused:

5. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Not for a Sims install. I got face and sides for $660.00.

6. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Funky:

All Lakland 5ers have the 3 + 2 config.

7. Wow, I can't believe I never noticed that before! You're right, of course. My 4-94 is four on a side, so I just assumed that the 5's would have an extra string on the other side of the headstock. 3+2 seems smarter though because it probably helps the balance.

8. If you get LEDs installed in your bass, do you have to route for another battery compartment? And do you get an on/off switch installed?

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    There is someone licensed to do the install for SIMS out of TN, now, too. So, that should make the price even lower for us stateside folks since you won't have to deal with international shipping to and from England. I haven't gotten in touch with him yet (every time I tried the SIMS page for a while, it was down).

Has anyone seen www.fretlord.com ?

It looks like it could be the poor man's answer to SIMS.

My next bass will have both LEDS and a Lightwave pickup. It'll be my last bass (no, really), so I'm going all out. Granted, after upgrading the rig over the last two months to the tune of $2K, it'll be a while before I get it going....

10. I've seen it done a few different ways. My switch is located where the three-way mid switch for the preamp would normally be. Mine was modified to have a mid shift by pulling the mid knob. Some of them have a push button on the back that's sort of recessed into the control cavity cover. I also have two battery compartments. One battery is for the LED's and one for the preamp:
    [​IMG]

11. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    ahhh my dp is going to have fret board led lights

12. I just remembered that I had one of the first Skyline 5's. For about a week. Shows how well I remembered.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've heard that before :D

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    A boy can dream, can't he?

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Boy, you're gonna die broke.
    On the other hand, you'll have some nice basses. :D

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

any info on who that is?

17. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Yep, Jesse Blue O'Neal from Warrior (Don't know if he still works for Warrior though) is the one who does the installs. The cool thing is they book appointments which usually takes 4 days plus shipping so you know when you'll be getting your baby back. Very cool to deal with. Check out the Sims Custom site. Lots of info there. And remember you can go the neck only route and get a 40% discount