Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's see those one-piece basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, May 13, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Okay, I know it's not the best way to make a bass, and, therefore, they aren't too common, but I figure somebody on TB has got to have one. What I mean by one-piece is: the body and neck (and ideally the fretboard, but I'll let that slide ;) ) are made of the same piece of wood, and are still attached as one piece (i.e., no basses with separate pieces that were, at one point, one piece of wood. Harware and so forth, is obviously exempt. Here's one I found on the internet:

[​IMG]

So show them if you've got them!

(I'm sorry:

Show 'em if ya got 'em!

Better?)

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Wow..that thing looks VERY funky... I think I'll have to pass :p :D. I honestly have never seen a one-piece bass, and didn't know they existed. Ya learn somethin new every day. I wonder if old Wishy has ever tried his hand at at one-piece?;)

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    basslab basses are monococque (one piece) in design...that bass up there looks pretty cool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Okay, maybe graphite should be excluded. That's TOO EASY! One-piece of wood!

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I don't have a picture on my PC since i reformatted the harddrive, but a DeArmond Ashbory is one peice :D

6. Hehe, funny this came up, i'm looking at making my first bass and i'm getting my farther to help because he works wood really well and he suggested we make it out of one piece of wood as he thinks it'll be a little easier from his perspective.

7. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Be warned that a true one-piece won't have a truss rod - no adjustment of the neck possible. You could have the neck and body be one piece, and put on a separate fretboard, and then you could have a truss rod. Or, make it all one piece, slice off some of the top of the neck-fretboard, put in the truss rod, and glue the slice back on.

The guy who made the one I posted (whose website has apparently vanished since this morning when I got that picture) says the neck is still straight after 10 years, so maybe you'll luck out.

It's not the best way to do things, which is why it's not common for wood basses to be one-piece, so think about it and maybe ask around in the Luthier's forum before you do it.