Let's see who has the worst gear at TB...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Oct 28, 2002.

1. We've seen all the threads were people get to show off their incredible gear.

But this one goes out to us losers that are broke. :D

I play a:

Harmony 4 string (with a dent in the side where my tv remote hit it, wood is visible, 1/8" in diameter)

Johnson 30 Watt amp (Uh..still looks new..sucks tho)

Let's see if anyone can top THAT. Or lower it.. :D
  2. defretted gavlestone p-bass clone!

Damn things bridge kept ripping out for awile, but I got TBs very own Hambone to fix that.

3. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I play a Bently bass. I swear, its the only one in existance.

Through a Peavey Minx 12" amp.

The best part? I dont own either of em :D
  4. Heres a pic of the new bridge with some threaded inserts to keep it from coming out again:

5. when i gig i play through the bands pa.... but i only own a bp squier 15 watter and a squier afinity... man i wish i had money
  6. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    man i have some of the worst gear here i swear
    squier p-bass special(actually looks quite fetching)
    and a peavey minx 110 amp
  7. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Here it is. It was the only one I had through the dark times........
  8. I have decent gear now, not top of the line but don't make me bring out the Vantage P. (I need a pic to do that)
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    A peavey Minx 110 is nothing to sneer at. It's actually very good.

Well, I have a broken Kramer Ferrington. The electronics don't work and the bridge was ripped off due to string tension.

I wonder why I don't qualify for guy with the lamest gear.

Oh yeah, the Pedulla...:D
  10. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I am the crapmaster:D

I`ve recently bougth an awesome luthier made jb, but until that i was playing a "made in japan" no name rickenbacker 4003 copy. String action was EXTREMELY high (25 mm on the 24 fret?), it kept in tune for about 4 hours, and frets were so used, that withinn 6 months it would be a fretless. I had to put my fingers EXCACTLY behind the fret, otherwise I started buzzing like hell.
    Until I`ve installed a shaller bridge on it, I`ve been breakind the g strings every 3 or 4 weeks.

The only cool parts of it was, that It sounded really good, and had a hardcase:) Oh, yeah, I`ve bought it for 50$ - the shaller brighe costed twice as much:D
  11. Basses: Yamaha BBG5A, Squier P bass (of doom), 2 Essex SJB-62 jazz basses, one black one red, Squier Musicmaster

Amp: SWR Workingman's 2004, X-Audio 2x15 cab.

Effects: Bass EQ, Flanger, Distortion

I'm pretty happy with my gear. It may not be the best, but it sounds good, it suits my needs, ad I'm not in debt because of it all.
  12. I beat you all wih a mile... I play a bass (fretless shortscale)that a friend of mine built in 9:th grade, through a '60s yamaha (powered)mixer and an old subwoofer... funky sound, but not nearly loud enogh...

oh yeah, the pickups and hardware on the bass were ripped off a VERY old Aria shortscale.
  13. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I currently use a Peavey TNT130 on stage. It isn't "worst gear", but it's definitely old school. And I suppose I better not call my MIM Jazz "worst gear" since I'm showin' it off.

14. I have a cheap Jazzbass copy (Stagg, made in China) and a Samick 5 string, played through a Peavey Microbass.
  15. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    You guys are luckier than you know.

My first bass was a Ventura, a Beatle bass copy. And I didn't have an amplifier for a long time. I played it through a cassette recorder, but NOT through a supplied input jack,NO!

I MADE my practice amp by cutting the wires from the read head in the cassette player and soldering them to a 1/4" jack.

The good news, serious distortion of a type that was actually popular then, though it would kinda suck now.

The bad news, two whole blazing watts of hollow-body bass thunder. Oh yeah! We're rockin' now! You heard me TWO WATTS. Oh I see you DIDN'T hear me because you were more than three feet away and it was only two miserable, puny, God-I-was-glad-to-get-a-real-amplifier, watts.

But things are better now.
  16. Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
    Tanglewood Warrior 2(Warwick Corvete Copy)
    and a peavey microbass all of which Im happy with:)

No one will know:p
  17. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I used to have a 40 W (yeah right, sounded like 4 W!) blown keyboard amp as a practice amp (well, I still have it, but I never use it anymore). There's probably something even worse out there (something in the vein of Bard2Bone's 2-watt hack :D), but that doesn't make my amp any better.
  18. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    And let's not forget my 1997 Zon Sonus Special. By far, my worst bass experience ever! :(

- Two strings short of a strat.

- Two octaves short of a bass.

19. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Why? That Zon looks cool.
  20. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Worst gear? That's kinda mean :(

Here's my first rig, which I no longer own. They were awesome for beginner stuff, but I quickly realized they were really crappy.

I like my new rig much better :D