Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Let's see yer eight string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, I did a search and came up nothing, so here goes! I'm thinking about buying an eight string (doubled 4 string, not the F#-F thing), and I'm looking for some recommendations and/or comments from users. Price is no object. Let's see 'em, mates!

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here ya go:

[​IMG]

More pics-
    http://www.curbow.com/store/gallerypages/8String/index.htm

Curbow fretless 8 string. Burled elm top over a one piece mahogany back. Quartersawn Rockwood Lite neck with a Rockwood fretboard. Bartolini quad coil pickups with an 18 V Bart preamp.

Thomastik Jazz Rounds for the bass strings, and GHS piccolo strings for the octaves.

Sounds amazing, and is a lot of fun to play.

Personally, I can't wait to check out Xush's new FBB 8 string singlecut.

3. I was at the FBB shop today and xush's 8 string is almost done and it looks killer!!

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think a 12 is a bit much for me. I've got small hands, and I tune in 5ths (CGDA). It's hard enough to find strings for a four string much less an 8 and even less a 12!

Nice pants, by the way.:D Very rawk.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My 8 string...Old-School style...
    [​IMG]

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    That's KILLER! (don't suppose you'd let me take it off your hands, eh?) :D btw, how did you make it stand on the wall?

I'll have a 10-string (double-five) in several months... I'll keep you posted, if that's of any interest to you.

Could somebody explain the 12-string to me? Isn't it the same as an eight but with two octave strings (in the same octave)? Why? If you're going to have three of each string, they should be three different octaves, dagnabbit.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sorry, CJ, but I think I'm going to hang on to this one for a while. It's just too much fun, and was too great a deal. That stand is actually a tripod stand that came with a Ramirez classical guitar.
    And for the twelve string, yes, it's the fundamental with two octave stringes in unison. Gives a chorus kind of effect. I'll take the 8...12s give a bit too much highs for my ears.

8. FingerThePick

FingerThePick

May 24, 2002
    Memphis TN
    with a 12ver I feel you get a much fuller sound and amasing tone playing somethin simple and melodic or even some raw metal. Ive played some 8;s and just didnt think the tone that I wanted was there.

as for small fingers, mine are small and chubby but the nut on my 12ver is smaller than most 6 string necks and smaller thatn some 5 string necks so I dont seem to have much of a problem from my small fingers

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Still in construction....

[​IMG]

**Couldn't resist!!**

:D

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    A 12 string just fills up too much sonic room for my tastes. besides--I have a lot more facility on my 8 string than I could ever have on a 12. I also had mine set up so I could play each set of strings independently (think fretless guitar :eek:).

Don't worry, Progzilla--JT will come in at some point and post pics of his 8 strings, even though they aren't octaves... ;)

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Actually, neither is the one I have pictured... ;)

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Oh, I know. It still looks cool, though.

13. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD

Spalt rocks!

[​IMG]

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hey patrickj, that is a SWEET top!!

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I wonder if you could set up a 12 with two fundamentals and only one octave string? Not too much highs then!

16. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks! It's not totally bookmatched, but it's close enough for rocket science :)

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    this is what I'm using presently:
    [​IMG]

It's a great bass in the mid-range niche. Taught me to love 8-string. Hate to part with it, but it's for sale now.

Something interesting should be taking its place soon, hopefully.

I've played Bassmonkeee's 8 fretless. Very nice! A totally original concept, very very cool. Lovely sitarish drones up in there.

Adron's Hagstrom is cool too; major vintage vibe. Probably the closest spacing I've ever seen on an 8.

So, when are you moving to London, BTA? I was hoping you could make it over to our Bass Summit in Mobile...

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm moving in about 6 weeks, or however long it takes to get the paperwork done. What's this bass summit?

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    it's like the Talkbass Get-togethers, but in my studio in Mobile.

Just a bunch of folks, a bunch of basses, a bunch of fun! Haven't really decided on when it will be, since we just had the GTG in Atlanta. Don't know if we could whip it together in 6 weeks or not. Maybe!

There's probably a thread about our last one on here somewhere...lemme check.

nope, not much there, so try here:
    bass summit pics on my site

there's a link from there to another site, Linny LeCompte's (AGB webmistress)