Let's see your DIY protoboard effect builds!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jase The Bass, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Jase The Bass

Jase The Bass Guest

Sep 1, 2011
    No PCBs in this post. The art of circuit building is quickly being replaced by machine made PCBs. If you build your effects on protoboard or point-to-point let's see em... birdsnest of wires and all. Share your tips and pictures.

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    IMG_1468.JPG

I'm at work, so I don't have a picture of this board's underside. It's a semi-clone of a silicon Fuzzrite fuzz pedal, with a couple of mods: added a filter cap and polarity protection diode, and changed one of the output caps for a larger value. It uses the very common silicon 2N2222A transistors, and note that the four biasing resistors are all the same value: 470 KΩ. How does it sound? Nasty, in a good way! Used both film and ceramic caps, for no particular reason. Only complaint is that it's not loud enough, it really needs a clean gain stage to bring the effect volume up.

Bassbeater and Jase The Bass like this.
  3. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    I'm about to get started on a woolly mammoth protoboard clone, I'll throw some pics up when I'm done.

Jase The Bass and Bassbeater like this.
  4. Jase The Bass

Jase The Bass Guest

Sep 1, 2011
    I did a Woolly Mammoth too. It's slightly modded with no pinch control. Looking forward to comparing notes on this!

5. Jase The Bass

Jase The Bass Guest

Sep 1, 2011
    I like the way all your parts lay flat!

6. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I toyed with the idea of "encapsulating" the circuit board in wax or potting compound to emulate the "fuzz module" that's used on some Fuzzrites. So yes, the circuit was laid out with the intention of having all the components flat on the board.

(photo stolen from effectsdatabase DOT com)

Fuzzrite_module.jpg

7. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Subbed

8. Jase The Bass

Jase The Bass Guest

Sep 1, 2011
    I'll get y'all some better pics. Here's one of my builds. I've gotten a lot better at wire management since this one.. so judge me :)
    left circuit - modded Woolly Mammoth (sans pinch)
    right circuit - modded Blueberry OD (input/output caps increased, LED color changed, Nature values changed)
    Underside pic is the Blueberry.

Attached Files: