1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's see your low budget rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zant, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Zant

Zant

Jan 1, 2017
    I know all T.B.ers aren't rich bass snobs so show me the rigs of necissety not over the top stuff the stuff that the normal bass player has to get the job done that you don't go up to your eyes in debt,

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. See the frugal rigs in the Janky thread.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. Zant

Zant

Jan 1, 2017
    Well it might be time for a new one, there has to be new low budget guys by now rite

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh come on...play along with the kid, guys!

Mind you, I do have a few very high end rigs, but I don't think it gets more low end than a $100 practice amp, which I still use on select gigs where the stage is tiny:

BA108rig.

Al Kraft, BrentSimons and High Camp like this.
  5. Zant

Zant

Jan 1, 2017
    See that's where it all comes from

JimmyM likes this.
  6. Type janky in search, click ''thread title only'', GO..... thirty pages of this current gem:

Janky-A Rigs of Doom

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    And then search that thread for, um... "hammer". You're welcome.

8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    All hail the choad

Chode? Man is my memory bad or what....

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Umm... Chöad...

basscooker likes this.
  10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I'll play too.

Okay here goes.
    1.Traded two Marshall Valvestate 1x8" cabs and an Mg15 head (that were all scrap and never used them) for two Peavey PA columns with a couple rubbing drivers in each.

2. Stripped cabs of tolex, sold both grills and 4 good drivers from the cabs.

3. Bought some 1/2" flat rolled 13ga expanded steel scrap pieces from the local sheet metal guy. Sprayed with Plasti-Dip.

4. Took the empty cabs to Line-X.

5. Bought 8 $10 poly cone, rubber surround 8 ohm drivers. Wired series-parallel for 8 ohm cabs.

6. Replaced the feet with more robust ones, and added side feet opposite the strap handles. Switched one of the cab handle/side feet locations to opposite sides so they can be "bookends". Added t-nuts to the handles too.

5. Instrument hangers. BEST DECISION EVER, lol.

6. Two Crate Powerblock amps closeout $99 from MF a few years ago. 150 watts @8 ohms bridged.... Coincidentally, the bass control is centered exactly where these cabs have a fairly big hump in the response.

Result? A nearly indestructible, highly water resistant 8x10 300 watt rig that cost me less than $350. Boom.

Edit; the one on the left was living in a garage jam spot that flooded. Disassembled, let it dry, works as it did when I built it. Poly cone, rubber surround.... Check, and mate, water.

20171227_185650.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Those Crate Powerblocks are real sleepers! I prefer mine on guitar personally, but I absolutely love it for that purpose.

basscooker likes this.
  12. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I will occasionally use an Eden EX110 and GK MB200 for coffee house acoustic type gigs. The gear may be very bargain basement priced and feature shy, but it actually delivers quite nicely. As long as the equipment is up to the requirements of the gig (voicing and volume-wise), I can usually make most anything work. Sometimes it's really nice to travel light.

johnpbass and SJan3 like this.
  13. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    IMG_0775.JPG Like this, Al?

Al Kraft likes this.
  14. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    :thumbsup: